HTC Touch Pro

Started by Mr. Analog, January 13, 2009, 01:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Using all my features (e-mail, internet, calling, text, etc) my battery went down two bars (out of five) in a day.

Given that I am a fanatical battery charger, it's not that big a deal for me to ensure my phone is plugged in at the end of the day (and to be honest I had it synced with my PC for a few hours last night and the battery came back up through the USB connection).

There are a lot of options for me to make sure that the battery doesn't drain as fast, but for what I'm using it for I'm not worried about consumption too much (otherwise I would have bought a more basic phone capable of holding a charge for four or five days without breaking a sweat (like my old phone).

I think it's safe to assume that if you are buying a Smartphone the battery consumption rate is low on the priority list compared to other features.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Smart / Data phones don't normally last more than 1 day (WHEN NEW) unless you leave it in standby and have no background tasks running. (older blackberries also tend to last more than one day.)

If you have a NON smart phone most of the current ones will last several days including several calls on a (NEW) battery.

Lithium ION has a fixed life of around 500-1000 charge cycles depending on the vendor or a shelf life of around 2 years, which ever comes first before the battery life drops of significantly.

Mr. Analog

I think another benefit is that my battery can be replaced if I manage to drain it over time, not so much with the iPhone ;)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 15, 2009, 02:53:56 PM
I think another benefit is that my battery can be replaced if I manage to drain it over time, not so much with the iPhone ;)

Call me when you have purchased one have actually needed to use it.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on January 15, 2009, 04:47:52 PM

I also recall hearing Apple Genius's will take and replace the battery for free won't they? Or at least fairly cheaply. And possibly even going so far as to just transfer your stuff over to a new unit (then they sell the old one with a new battery as a refurb).
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

I will!

When I notice that I get less than a days worth of battery life after ~36 months or if it just dies for some reason I'll swap batteries and give you a call :)

You may not have noticed, but I tend to hold on to electronics for lengthy periods of time. :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on January 15, 2009, 05:20:53 PM

I also recall hearing Apple Genius's will take and replace the battery for free won't they? Or at least fairly cheaply. And possibly even going so far as to just transfer your stuff over to a new unit (then they sell the old one with a new battery as a refurb).

Mmm, I'm pretty sure they have to do major surgery of some sort. From what I've read it requires shipping the unit somewhere and a complete wipe of data. Not that it matters, battery replacement is something that might happen once during ownership of any Smartphone I'm thinking.

My earlier comment wasn't to poke at Apple stuff, it was to highlight the fact that if something happens to my battery OR if it just dies off from use I can slap a new one in.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

My comment was more to daily use. You can already purchase aftermaket battery kits for the first iPhone I am sure there will be one for the 3g after it's first year is up.

However the way things are going I suspect I will be switching to a new device around that 2 year mark.

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 15, 2009, 06:20:09 PM
Quote from: Tom on January 15, 2009, 05:20:53 PM

Mmm, I'm pretty sure they have to do major surgery of some sort. From what I've read it requires shipping the unit somewhere and a complete wipe of data. Not that it matters, battery replacement is something that might happen once during ownership of any Smartphone I'm thinking.

My earlier comment wasn't to poke at Apple stuff, it was to highlight the fact that if something happens to my battery OR if it just dies off from use I can slap a new one in.
But like I added, iirc, the apple folks will just do a swap. Takes a few minutes to transfer the data, and you get a new phone out of the deal.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on January 16, 2009, 07:37:43 AMBut like I added, iirc, the apple folks will just do a swap. Takes a few minutes to transfer the data, and you get a new phone out of the deal.
Not to split hairs but, meh, I got time to waste today...

From the "iPhone Out-of-Warranty Battery Replacement Program" FAQ (which I linked to above):

QuoteWill the data on my iPhone be preserved?
No, the service process will clear all data from your iPhone. It is important to sync your iPhone with iTunes to back up your contacts, photos, email account settings, text messages, and more. Apple is not responsible for the loss of information while servicing your iPhone and does not offer any data transfer service. Please do not send any accessories with your iPhone.
*underline mine for emphasis

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/battery/

Just so you know, I came very close to going for the iPhone, it's very easy to use (played with a co-workers) so I started looking at stuff like support. Battery replacement was such a small issue for me that I didn't weigh it for or against either phone. But it is a fact, battery replacement nukes the phone according to Apple and since I don't know anyone who has had to have their battery replaced yet I have no choice but to believe their FAQ. As mentioned in the FAQ, your data can be backed up to iTunes, so it's not that big of a deal anyway, but when you get your phone back you will have to sync it.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 16, 2009, 09:27:32 AM
Quote from: Tom on January 16, 2009, 07:37:43 AMBut like I added, iirc, the apple folks will just do a swap. Takes a few minutes to transfer the data, and you get a new phone out of the deal.
Not to split hairs but, meh, I got time to waste today...

From the "iPhone Out-of-Warranty Battery Replacement Program" FAQ (which I linked to above):

QuoteWill the data on my iPhone be preserved?
No, the service process will clear all data from your iPhone. It is important to sync your iPhone with iTunes to back up your contacts, photos, email account settings, text messages, and more. Apple is not responsible for the loss of information while servicing your iPhone and does not offer any data transfer service. Please do not send any accessories with your iPhone.
*underline mine for emphasis

http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/service/battery/

Just so you know, I came very close to going for the iPhone, it's very easy to use (played with a co-workers) so I started looking at stuff like support. Battery replacement was such a small issue for me that I didn't weigh it for or against either phone. But it is a fact, battery replacement nukes the phone according to Apple and since I don't know anyone who has had to have their battery replaced yet I have no choice but to believe their FAQ. As mentioned in the FAQ, your data can be backed up to iTunes, so it's not that big of a deal anyway, but when you get your phone back you will have to sync it.
Weird, I've heard stories where if you bring your phone in for service, a lot of the times the Genius will just copy your @%&# over to a new device and you walk back out.

Lazybones

I had a warranty replacement already, you come in, and they take your SIM out and hand you a new one.

When you get home you connect it to itunes and it completely restores your phone. It is DAMN EASY, you need 3rd party tools to do the same under windows mobile.