can we shrink the Planet Bob map?

Started by Thorin, December 24, 2015, 12:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

My son (BMan_C on the server) is looking for an Ocean Monument to make a surprise of some kind for me.  The ocean monuments were added in 1.8, and I'm pretty sure we restarted on Planet Bob during the 1.7 era.  The map is pretty big already with a lot of unbuilt area - can you trim the map like you did with the old Usamot map, Tom?  Maybe today?  Then I can at least tell him which direction to go in to find new oceans that might have a monument, because I can't travel with him otherwise the surprise'll be ruined.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

OOsh, I'm not sure about today. I'm not sure what the state of my trimmer is in. I was working on related code after i wrote that one, and it may have broken something. Also would need to update the blockmaps and feh. I'll try, after christmas dinner :o
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Don't worry about it, we found an ocean monument.  Turns out they can be generated in areas of a 1.7 map that were already generated before, as long as no player has been there for more than three minutes.

HOLY CRAP GUARDIANS ARE TOUGH

and mining fatigue really, really sucks

My son, my daughter, and me tried to attack it, we died a bunch of times, I lost several enchanted items, all we got were a few prismarine crystals and a block or two.

You will see lots of teleport commands as I tried to move us back to the battlefield quickly, but we've given up for now.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Oh, right, I forgot that they made them spawn in in existing chunks. It's something mods have done for a while, and vanilla picked them up for guardian monuments. Problem's can happen though. You can get some really weird spawns.

Look around for the rooms full of sponge :D

Thorin

Hey man, Planet Bob went offline yesterday (Dec 24) and hasn't come back yet.  Any chance you can have a look to see why it's not answering?  We're pointing at mc2.tomasu.org, default port.  It was kind of flaky yesterday when we were in the ocean monument, too.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

With the changes to my network the ip addresses all changed. whups. so forwards all broke. But only after they decided to renew their address.

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

We found the ocean monument a week ago or so.  Tonight, BMan_C and I went through it (with a lot of water breathing and invisibility potions) and killed off the three elder guardians.  We have the sponges to prove it!

On the first trip, we took two water breathing and invisibility potions each.  That was _barely_ enough to find our way to the first elder guardian and kill it and then escape back to the surface without drowning or dying.  So for the second trip, we made three of each potion for each of us.  Three potions appeared to be enough, as we found the second elder guardian (had spotted him just at the end of our first run), dispatched it pretty quickly, then went looking for the third.  I managed to find the third, so BMan_C went outside the monument to kill some regular guardians to get their loot.

Unfortunately, he died.  Now, Bman_C had put away his good armour (highly-enchanted diamond armour HOLY CRAP he has a lot of enchantments on it!) and sword, so no problem. While I was trying to make my way back out (it's a maze, I was lost, also _running out of water breathing and invisibility while still suffering mining fatigue_), he died fighting them.  No problem, he respawned, got his good armour and sword, and headed back to where he died.  Where he died a second time just trying to retrieve the gear he'd dropped on the first death (sponge, prismarine shards and crystals).

You should've seen the look on the poor kid's face when I told him I couldn't find his gear.  I was looking for it, but it's dark twenty blocks under water, and there was lots of murderous guardians that were zapping me with their laser vision.  I ended up dying, too.  Our sponges!  Plus all this highly-enchanted armour!

When we respawned, I gave him new armour and enchanted it with Op commands (poor kid, he was ready to bawl).  Then we made more potions of water breathing and invisibility, and went back to retrieve whatever gear we could find.  Hey, you know what?  It was all still there, with guardians all over it but we were invisible so they ignored us!  We found everything back except the diamond leggings.  We threw the new stuff I'd made in lava (I figure it's okay to replace it if it's lost, but not okay to make extra if you found it back) and celebrated getting our sponges back.

And you know what?  He's been waiting to give me a Minecraft Christmas gift (that's why we were looking for the ocean monument in the first place), and he finally was able to - my manor house by my village is now decorated with sea lanterns!
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

If there was ever a good reason to spawn in equipment, that is the one.

Mr. Analog

Nice!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

What really impressed me is how much work he put into this. Finding the ocean monument the first time and getting our butts kicked (I died four times), then he did a bunch of research on how to beat ocean monuments, then he researched how to brew potions, then he gathered all the ingredients for the potions, including hours of fishing to get enough puffer fish, a couple of hours trying to find brown mushrooms. There was a lot, a lot, of effort put in that.

He's also trying to help me re-grow the village - it was down to seven villagers and a single iron golem at one point. I don't know where I've been losing villagers. We're back to about fifteen and two golems now. And again, he's the one who researched how to make villagers breed.

And he's only nine.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

WOW! Lots of hard grinding work. You must be flattered!

Thorin

So then to follow up the sea lanterns (I'm the only one with any on our server, nyeah!), BMan_C decided to build a beacon in my front yard. I helped a little to kill the wither and so did his sister; then it was all whispers and asking his sister and brother to help and telling me I couldn't go outside my minecraft house, and oh, do I have any blocks of iron?

It's all done now, four layers tall so it has both a primary and secondary effect. He used up all my iron so I had to go mining for more, ended up mining some redstone straight down and dying in lava! Lost magic armour, magic sword, three magic picks (two of 'em unbreaking efficient fortune), magic shovel, magic axe, magic bow. The kids saw me do it... "Dad! The first thing you told us is don't mine straight down!"

Anyway, I still had lots of diamonds so I rebuilt my experience levels mining the extra iron we needed (24 more blocks, so 216 more ingots), then made more enchanted picks and axes and swords, I'm mostly back to normal. And then found out I still had a stack of blocks of iron in a hut I haven't visited in a long time. So I didn't need to mine, so I wouldn't have died; if only I'd remembered...

Oh hey, did you know you can change the colour of the beacon light beam by putting coloured glass in it? I did not, he made it look cool!
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Very cool! Man, I had plans to play all the games this last week but ended up being too busy with other stuff

Now you gotta build a system to change the colours using redstone and pistons :D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 04, 2016, 10:59:13 AM
Very cool! Man, I had plans to play all the games this last week but ended up being too busy with other stuff

Now you gotta build a system to change the colours using redstone and pistons :D

Damn you!  That's all I can think about now...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on January 04, 2016, 03:28:22 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 04, 2016, 10:59:13 AM

Damn you!  That's all I can think about now...

Mwah hah haaaaa not that I've been thinking about it or nuthin' but

Minecart, loop of track, detector rails, sticky pistons, coloured glass....
By Grabthar's Hammer