The Offspring "Hammerhead"

Started by Darren Dirt, June 25, 2008, 03:19:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Wow. First time I heard this song on Sonic I almost thought it was two different songs.

Reminded me of Megadeth or Motorhead, back in their prime.

Amazing musically, and deep semi-enigmatic lyrics... but just curious I checked Youtube and a week or so ago they posted their music video, fascinating, some very dark, subtle imagery... powerful stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HntWZRWQ-mk

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Some people seem to think that the last verse means the song is actually not about military or para-military personnel, but rather about Columbine-style murderers.

I say they're wrong.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on June 25, 2008, 03:47:58 PM
Some people seem to think that the last verse means the song is actually not about military or para-military personnel, but rather about Columbine-style murderers.

I say they're wrong.

When I first heard it on The Sonic I thought it was about war only... But Mr. Holland himself has apparently said the song *is* "about" school shootings, however just a single viewing of the video and you can see that maybe it's really about the *militarization* of our children, the glorification of military-themed violence that is imposed on our children and turning some of the bullied into the bullies and feeling justified, etc. when they commit homicide in response to their victimization.

I looked online at the lyrics, they are sorta ambiguous until the end (re. the teacher, hiding behind your desk, etc.) but the video has such clear imagery of stealth bombers and middle eastern children being blown up etc. so obviously it's not just about Virginia Tech and Columbine etc.

I did the Amazon 30-second-preview of the new album, and sounds pretty awesome, methinks I'm adding it to the library this week while it's got the lower price tag as new releases often do...

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 25, 2008, 03:19:11 PM
Wow. First time I heard this song ... Reminded me of Megadeth or Motorhead, back in their prime.
PS: Funny I said that; no coincidence, since based on something a Youtube comment said I just had a re-listen to the old classic "The Ace Of Spades" and wow there's a *very* similar sound to both songs. Both awesome songs.

Thorin

I stand corrected, after reading the article where they explain it is about a school shooter.  However, school shooters never think of themselves as "soldiers" and "protectors" who "take the life of one to save the life of ten".  All of the psychological write-ups I've read about school shooters, they're always plotting revenge, not protection.  So if indeed it's supposed to be about a school shooter, he's got the psychology all wrong.  Which makes me think he was high when he wrote the ending, you know, "Hey, guess what, I thought of this awesome twist ending!  Doesn't really fit with the rest of the lyrics, but oh well!".

Disturbed does this kind of song better, methinks.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Mr. Analog

I like both songs, as for meaning... well, art is all about interpretation so take what you like from it :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Lazybones on June 25, 2008, 08:46:21 PM
Quote from: Thorin on June 25, 2008, 08:34:05 PM
Disturbed does this kind of song better, methinks.

Disturbed - Land Of Confusion Ya the animation in this one is good.

The band that broke onto the scene singing about a guy who's giving in to the sickness in his head, covering a Genesis song?  That still feels a little weird :P
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

Speaking of Disturbed...

On their site, they've got a store where they're selling various versions of their newest album.  One of the options is a 2 LP vinyl set with a CD copy: http://disturbed1.com/store

Sorta different!
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

A lotta bands do vinyl releases these days for DJs and stuff who want to do remixes with turntables.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 25, 2008, 10:59:21 PM
I like both songs, as for meaning... well, art is all about interpretation so take what you like from it :)

Well, then, what is your interpretation of the weird "feature exhibit" at The Works downtown right now??

;)

Funny I was just listening to the original Genesis "Land of Confusion" this morning with the kids. I didn't know it was "Disturbed" that did the remake I've heard on occasion.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 26, 2008, 02:41:02 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 25, 2008, 10:59:21 PM

Well, then, what is your interpretation of the weird "feature exhibit" at The Works downtown right now??

;)

Funny I was just listening to the original Genesis "Land of Confusion" this morning with the kids. I didn't know it was "Disturbed" that did the remake I've heard on occasion.

My interpretation is: I never heard of it.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 26, 2008, 05:42:28 PM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 26, 2008, 02:41:02 PM

;)

My interpretation is: I never heard of it.

http://www.theworks.ab.ca/festivalfolder/festival/festival.html
http://www.theworks.ab.ca/festivalfolder/festival/2008/sites/site01.html

Hello Friend, Are You Impotent?
Piret R?ni
Layers of e-mail spam and street ads explore the barrage of sexist advertising bombarding Estonians.
Artist Talk June 22 1 - 2 pm at The ARTery

...I walked in that tent with my kids, looked around for 8 or 3 seconds, and quickly removed us from the tent. They're "barraged" enough as it is, outside of "art" displays ;D

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 26, 2008, 06:16:00 PM
...I walked in that tent with my kids, looked around for 8 or 3 seconds, and quickly removed us from the tent. They're "barraged" enough as it is, outside of "art" displays ;D
Without having seen what you're talking about I can't positively grip what you're saying.

But, and this is the interesting bit, art is often a question. You're leaving so quickly tells me a bit about how you, as a modern dad, feel about invasive internet media and the effect it has on your children. Sometimes art requires the viewer to become final element to achieve completion.
By Grabthar's Hammer