Main Menu

BF2 Demo

Started by Melbosa, June 10, 2005, 11:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

Source: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/624/624158p1.html

QuoteJune 09, 2005 - EA informed us that the demo for Battlefield 2 (still no official release date, although it's rumored for Friday) will debut at Gamespot plus the official website:

This email is to inform you that I will not be sending out the Battlefield 2 multiplayer demo to our file partners upon its initial release. As you're probably aware, GameSpot will be premiering the demo for a 24-hour period once EA releases it. At this time, we do not have a release date, but one is expected soon. When it is released, you'll be able to download it from the GameSpot GameCenter (no registration is required) and the games official web site located here.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Downloaded it and ran it quick..

Not much has changed.. its still battle field..

- new blur / deaf effect when you are near an explotion (think far cry)
- More 3d grass
- a little more poly count.
- some sort of commander feature.. was only playing with bots so didn't check it out.

I was playing HL2 while this was downloading,, man I thought that game had load times..

Tip: set all your video settings before loading the map for the first time, or be prepared for the longest load time ever as it RE OPTIMIZES its textures and shaders for your new settings.

P.S. The bots STILL run and grab all the vehicals at the begining of the match.. Thats one thing I WOULD have liked to see changed.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: "Lazybones"Downloaded it and ran it quick..

Not much has changed.. its still battle field..

- new blur / deaf effect when you are near an explotion (think far cry)
- More 3d grass
- a little more poly count.
- some sort of commander feature.. was only playing with bots so didn't check it out.

I was playing HL2 while this was downloading,, man I thought that game had load times..

Tip: set all your video settings before loading the map for the first time, or be prepared for the longest load time ever as it RE OPTIMIZES its textures and shaders for your new settings.

P.S. The bots STILL run and grab all the vehicals at the begining of the match.. Thats one thing I WOULD have liked to see changed.
My fave thing to do on certain British missions in BF1 was to grab a good AA gun and when the bots grabbed the best planes, I'd um... "bring them home" a bit faster than they expected ;)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Shayne

After playing 20+ hours this weekend of BF2, its actually a very decent game.

Load times?  Takes under 30 seconds to load, and with 300 tickets on most servers, gameplay lasts 30 minutes+.  Load time is minor at best.

Commander feature is nifty.  Its a double edged sword to be commander.  You end up spending a lot of time in this feature and not a lot of time playing the FPS perspective, but a well played commander really helps the team to focus.  Ive been on teams where within 3 minutes of start and a coordinated commander and squads the game is over.

Squad system and VOIP are spectacular.  The VOIP system with chain of command is very well done, and sounds better then steam's built in VOIP.

Server requirements are much less.  I was able to run 32 player server, on a 1800XP, 1024MB DDR and a i-Xtreme connection.  I think thats less then before.

Flying machines i find end up sticking to themselves.  Since they move so fast they really do not have the ability to unbalance the map.  Helicopters can begin to unbalance, but every anti-air ordinence is heatseaking for the most part.

Vehicles are well done, and have a very good rock+paper+sissor system in effect for taking them out.

Simply stunning, and i will definatly be retiring from CSS in a week.

Lazybones

Quote from: "Shayne"Load times?  Takes under 30 seconds to load, and with 300 tickets on most servers, gameplay lasts 30 minutes+.  Load time is minor at best.
You have a RAID 0 setup in your system correct?

I am running a single drive.

Maybe I just reset my video every time I loaded it.. Load times seemed long or longer than older BF.

Shayne

When changinf your video it has to  redo your shader optimize, then ya, that takes a while, but after that, its whicked fast.  Im very suprised, because i remember taking 2-3 min to get BF1942 to switch between levels.

Lazybones

I'll give it another shot tonight..

Still dissapointed I can't do 1280X1024...  

Darren Dirt

Quote from: "Shayne"Commander feature is nifty.  Its a double edged sword to be commander.  You end up spending a lot of time in this feature and not a lot of time playing the FPS perspective, but a well played commander really helps the team to focus.  Ive been on teams where within 3 minutes of start and a coordinated commander and squads the game is over.
*cough* *Savage* *cough* <-- ah the memories of that LAN party when we played it a bunch, so much fun... :D

Quote from: "Shayne"When changinf your video it has to  redo your shader optimize, then ya, that takes a while, but after that, its whicked fast.  Im very suprised, because *i remember taking 2-3 min to get BF1942 to switch between levels*.
Oh good, so then it wasn't just me and my Dinosaur PC ™

Darren Dirt

Battlefield 2 - rather long video showing nothing but in-game footage. Check out the terrain damage when shots are fired, birds flying away from vehicles, plane parts flying apart...

Golly, war is heck: http://www.heavy.com/index.php?videoPath=....m&partner=aff36