Blizzard North....Closed.

Started by Shayne, August 02, 2005, 09:44:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shayne

QuoteThe team behind the enormously popular Diablo franchise--most recently known as Blizzard North, the Bay Area outpost of Irvine, Calif-based Blizzard Entertainment--has been officially shuttered. Arguably, the office was moribund for months, those with ties to the Diablo franchise having departed months or even years ago to form studios of their own.

In a statement today, Blizzard president and founder Mike Morhaime said the relocation will "improve our efficiency as a company" and "represents an opportunity for all of our teams to have regular, direct input on each other's projects."

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/08/01/news_6130138.html
Sounds to me like Blizzard is no more then WoW.  Such a shame.

QuoteDesigner Peter Molyneux assures us that he's aware of the expectations, and the skepticism, of the audience of game players he must win over (and win back) with the sequel. To that end, Molyneux has enlisted the help of veteran game designer Ron Millar (whose previous credits include some of Blizzard's breakthrough strategy games)
I found that reading a nice update on Black & White 2, so the idea of another strategy game from Blizzard could be rather bleek.

At least we got Rise of Legends (and i suppose Age of Empires)

Mr. Analog

Y'know it's funny when Blizzard was founded they had an innate desire to be a bit diverse in the realm of action / rpg and now that they have their golden goose all other projects are starting to wither away...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Fedora Gal

can't remember the last time I saw a new release Blizzard title, nothing comes to mind other than WOW, kinda tells you something don't it.

It's to bad, I had them pegged as one of the companies I would most like to work for, guess I'll just have to try and get in at Sony and give there CS department a boot in the arse!

hehehe.....had some Red Bull today, a little more nutty than usual! Damn you Dungeon Lords for keeping me up all night playing
When the going gets tough, the tough make lemonade!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: "Shayne"Sounds to me like Blizzard is no more then WoW.  Such a shame.

QuoteDesigner Peter Molyneux assures us that he's aware of the expectations, and the skepticism, of the audience of game players he must win over (and win back) with the sequel. To that end, Molyneux has enlisted the help of veteran game designer Ron Millar (whose previous credits include some of Blizzard's breakthrough strategy games)
I found that reading a nice update on Black & White 2, so the idea of another strategy game from Blizzard could be rather bleek.

Peter Molyneux will bounce back no matter what (see Moby Games - GOLLY!)... His creative talents have been clear since the mid-1980s and as he has managed to take many of those ubiquitous "ideas" and actually translate them into fun games I have no doubt he will be the man behind the Next Big Thing.

Or else he'll buy a few dozens acres of land, build a replica castle, and generate a protective shield outside so he can sadistically watch live video feeds of the rest of us destroying each other... Oh wait, that's Michael Jackson. :P

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: "Darren Dirt"
Quote from: "Shayne"Sounds to me like Blizzard is no more then WoW.  Such a shame.

Peter Molyneux will bounce back no matter what (see Moby Games - GOLLY!)... His creative talents have been clear since the mid-1980s and as he has managed to take many of those ubiquitous "ideas" and actually translate them into fun games I have no doubt he will be the man behind the Next Big Thing.

Or else he'll buy a few dozens acres of land, build a replica castle, and generate a protective shield outside so he can sadistically watch live video feeds of the rest of us destroying each other... Oh wait, that's Michael Jackson. :P
Theme Hospital WTF!?!

I know what those words are but I've never seen them in that configuration before...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Fedora Gal

QuoteTheme Hospital WTF!?!

hey I own that game, pretty fun at that!
When the going gets tough, the tough make lemonade!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: "Shaeleam"
QuoteTheme Hospital WTF!?!

hey I own that game, pretty fun at that!
Ooh, I like the "malpractice" theme, or the "Dr. Giggles theme"...
By Grabthar's Hammer