Windows Live Messenger on 360

Started by Melbosa, April 09, 2007, 09:12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/310791_software09.html

Software Notebook: Microsoft connects PCs, Xbox with IM
By TODD BISHOP
P-I REPORTER

Microsoft Corp. will further connect the worlds of Windows and Xbox 360 by letting people on computers trade instant messages with those using the company's video-game console.

Microsoft plans to expand its Windows Live Messenger service to the Xbox 360 through a software update early next month. The move creates a new bridge between two of Microsoft's biggest user bases and adds another PC-style function to the game console.

A small keyboard attached to the Xbox 360 controller allows instant messaging between gamers and PCs.
However, for the best experience with the new instant-messaging feature, Xbox 360 users will need to buy a small, QWERTY-style keyboard that will attach to the game controller for thumb typing. That won't be released until summer, and Microsoft isn't yet saying how much it will cost.

Check out this keyboard:

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

The May update with Live Messenger support was just officially announced today, I suspect this keypad should be officially announced some times soon.

Thorin

Quote from: Melbosa on April 09, 2007, 09:12:27 AM
However, for the best experience with the new instant-messaging feature, Xbox 360 users will need to buy a small, QWERTY-style keyboard that will attach to the game controller for thumb typing.

Thumb typing?  Ever try that?  This whole message is done with just my thumbs, and man, it's weird and slow!

Quote from: Melbosa on April 09, 2007, 09:12:27 AM

I really hope they don't try to integrate the keyboard into the controller like that.  Can you imagine trying to hold that up for a couple of hours?!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Cova

Thumb-typing on a regular keyboard will be nothing at all like typing on that little controller-keyboard.  That mini-keyboard should feel very similar to thumb-typing on a blackberry, which I can speak from experience is quite natural.

I also snagged this bit of news about the spring update, which I haven't seen in most of the news postings.

Quote# H.264 video support: Up to 15 Mbps, Baseline, Main, and High (up to level 4.1) Profiles with 2 channel AAC LC and Main Profiles.
# Added MPEG-4 Part 2 video support: Up to 8 Mbps, Simple Profile with 2 channel AAC LC and Main Profiles.

from here: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/community/news/2007/0408-im.htm

And for those who aren't deep into video stuff like me...

The Divx and xvid codecs are both implementations of that second point (MPEG4 Advanced Simple Profile) - just a question of which FourCC codes the 360 will accept.  FourCC's can be patched without re-encoding the video though.

x264 is the codec popular on the 'net for HD stuff, and it is an implementation of that first point - h.264 = MPEG4 Advanced Visual Coding (AVC).  Unfortunately most h.264 encoded content on the 'net is encoded unrestricted (level 5 I believe) and so couldn't be played back with a level 4.1 playback device like the 360.  But level 4.1 is the max for h.264 content on HD-DVD or BluRay disks, so maybe 4.1 will become a popular target for encoders as it'll give a nice wide range of potential playback devices.

Also worth mentioning that the 360 already has h.264 playback support, but currently it's limited to HD-DVD playback.

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on April 09, 2007, 01:02:05 PM
Thumb typing?  Ever try that?  This whole message is done with just my thumbs, and man, it's weird and slow!

Hmm, some how I don't have a problem with that. It is being proposed as an optional input device which is FAR faster thant plugging in stuff on screen with the joystick and buttons. It is ideal for short messages such as on MSN.

If I was going to type more than two sentences at a time I would want a full keyboard on my lap.

Melbosa

hehe, you have to be an sms person to understand how thumb typing works.  As for the keyboard in the picture, we will see.  The 360 controller is by far the heaviest controller out there with the wireless ones and the battery pack (compared to the PS3 and Wii).  Hopefully the keyboard doesn't add much weight.  Compared to XBox original controllers though, the 360 ones are still lighter.

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on April 09, 2007, 01:02:05 PM

I have to ask why would you try that? :D  Despite the fact that the comparison is really not relevant to the situation the new keyboard is presenting,  can tell this would be horrendously tough even without trying it.  Comparing to a phone, blackberry, or other hand held typing device (as posted by others) would be a better comparison.

So yeah, with testing that out on your keyboard, I can see why you wouldn't find this a prudent solution.

Thorin

Quote from: Cova on April 09, 2007, 01:13:40 PM
Thumb-typing on a regular keyboard will be nothing at all like typing on that little controller-keyboard.  That mini-keyboard should feel very similar to thumb-typing on a blackberry, which I can speak from experience is quite natural.

Point taken.  I didn't stop and think before posting - of course that keyboard won't be normal-sized.

Quote from: Lazybones on April 09, 2007, 01:14:43 PM
It [...] is FAR faster thant plugging in stuff on screen with the joystick and buttons. [...]

If I was going to type more than two sentences at a time I would want a full keyboard on my lap.

Yes, I agree it'll be faster than joysticking and clicking (I've found the Wii remote easier to enter text with than a normal dual-stick controller as well).  But a full-sized keyboard would be best.

I wonder if www.meebo.com works on the Wii's Internet Channel?  If so, then you can IM through that site...  It uses AJAX techmonology, though, and I don't know if the Wii Browser made by Opera supports the required XmlHttpRequest object in some form or another.  That'll be something to try.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

I think I liked it better recessed. Or at least the prior pictures made me think it was, but I see now it probably isn't...

So really, I'd prefer it recessed.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Cova

You won't see me buying one - I can tell from those pictures that the way I normally hold the controller wouldn't work anymore with that thing occupying the entire space in the center of the controller.  I hate the on-screen keyboard working with the thumb-sticks from the controller too.  So I guess I'll just use a PC with real windows messenger when I wanna chat, and just use the gaming console when I wanna play games.

Mags

Well least now I'll be able to WASD first person shooters. :P
"Bleed all over them, let them know you're there!"

Lazybones

Quote from: Mags on April 10, 2007, 10:36:05 AM
Well least now I'll be able to WASD first person shooters. :P

And type in cheat codes...