The Humble Indie Bundle

Started by Lazybones, May 04, 2010, 02:06:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

http://www.wolfire.com/humble
QuoteThe Humble Indie Bundle is a unique kind of bundle that we are trying out.

Pay what you want. If you bought these five games separately, it would cost around $80 but we're letting you set the price!

All of the games work great on Mac, Windows, and Linux. We didn't want to leave anyone out.

There is no middle-man. You can rest assured that 100% of your purchase goes directly to the developers and non-profits as you specify (minus credit card fees).

We don't use DRM. When you buy these games, they are yours. Feel free to play them without an internet connection, back them up, and install them on all of your Macs and PCs freely.

Your contribution supports the amazing Child's Play charity and Electronic Frontier Foundation. By default, the amount is split equally between the seven participants (including Child's Play and EFF), but you can tweak the split any way you'd like.

Thorin

Wow, cool!  Dunno if they'll actually make money on it, although in today's DRM milieu they might just get a bunch of money from people who want to reward them for going DRM-less and who want to feel good about where they spend their money.

I wonder what the games are like, and how fun they are to play.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

World of goo is supposed to be great... I am thinking of getting it just for that

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on May 04, 2010, 03:31:58 PM
World of goo is supposed to be great... I am thinking of getting it just for that

Last year, within minutes of seeing a demo video of it, I emailed my son to buy it with his Wii Points card he was planning on getting that day. All 3 of my kids loved it. And it was cool to watch them, often working/playing together -- part action game, part puzzle/strategy, all fun!

and among the other titles, WOW, Gish *and* Aquaria? I've heard nothing but fantastic previews and reviews of those games, both are very "indie" as well, harkening back to the old days ala Railroad Tycoon and even before that. Nice package!

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I'm quite interested in this actually, especially since I can donate how much I think it's worth (the last average I saw was around $8 a pop).

World of Goo is very popular, people won't shut up about it (so it's probably addictive and fun).

Aquaria from what I hear is basically a GIANT game of Metroid (think SNES) with crazy ass bosses and MASSIVE dungeons.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

If only I found games more enjoyable I'd have enough of a reason to justify paying what I think the package is worth ($20+). Sadly, games just frustrate the heck out of me. I can't really justify spending money on something thats just going to piss me off.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

World of goo is like bridge builder with snot and maybe a little lemmings. It is interesting.

Thorin

Quote from: Lazybones on May 05, 2010, 08:45:06 AM
World of goo is like bridge builder with snot and maybe a little lemmings. It is interesting.

Best game description EVAR!!  Now if only I could find some time, maybe I'd buy and play this.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on May 05, 2010, 01:38:19 PM
Quote from: Lazybones on May 05, 2010, 08:45:06 AM

Best game description EVAR!!  Now if only I could find some time, maybe I'd buy and play this.

Lemmings + Tar + Explosivesand@%&# + ragdoll physics = WorldOfGoo.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on May 05, 2010, 04:29:05 AM
If only I found games more enjoyable I'd have enough of a reason to justify paying what I think the package is worth ($20+). Sadly, games just frustrate the heck out of me. I can't really justify spending money on something thats just going to piss me off.

Well, you can just pay nothing, download them and then later give them some $$$
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 05, 2010, 06:38:05 PM

That doesn't solve the frustration part. ;) I'm sure you've noticed, but I suck at games. Losing all the time just isn't fun.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on May 05, 2010, 11:39:46 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 05, 2010, 06:38:05 PM

That doesn't solve the frustration part. ;) I'm sure you've noticed, but I suck at games. Losing all the time just isn't fun.

You're not that bad, plus in a single player game (like most of these are) there is no one to lose against (except yourself I guess) :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on May 06, 2010, 08:32:27 AM
in a single player game (like most of these are) there is no one to lose against (except yourself I guess) :)
^ this.

After all, if you ever find yourself having fun playing Bejeweled or Tetris or Bookworm then you'll probably find at least one of the games "fun" instead of "frustrating" imo

Lazybones

WoG is rather enjoyable.. however I suppose you could get frustrated on some of the puzzles, but it is hardly a fast paced game.

Mr. Analog

All joking aside, I understand the hesitation (from my bouts with anxiety) but once you "get in" and start playing it's actually quite relaxing :)

One of the things I have been having a hard time with is actually getting started on projects because of "fear of failure", don't let that feeling own you!

Heck you can just muck around in that crazy game were you go all crazy-ninja on bunnies :)
By Grabthar's Hammer