Classic Game night!

Started by Tom, October 26, 2013, 07:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I'm playin some FVII on a 55" TV with kick ass surround, anyone wanna join me? :DDD

(note, I'm using a @%&#ty scaler to get it to even work, so it currently looks like total ass. monday I get the better one, which should make it look a lot better).

I wanna hold some semi-regular classic game nights in the future :) let me know if you guys are interested. I have a NES, SNES, N64, and a PS2.

(ps. yes I will have the place presentable before I have the first real one ;))

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

That would be awesome man

What kind of updcaler did you get?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

The one coming is a DVDO iScan HD+ which seems to be rated fairly decently in the up-scaling enthusiast crowd. I wasn't quite willing to spend $400+ on the next best unit (XRGB-3 or the Mini). I was very tempted though.

Tom

Will need some suggestions for games, I have some, but not many. people who do want to show up, may want to bring their favs if they have them. I'll go through the ones I have and post them at some point. (Ice Hockey, Double Dribble, Marios and zeldas of various kinds, tetris, etc).

Tom

Ugh, that ps1 memory card I got from that game store doesn't work at all. apparently ps2 slims can have issues with non official cards...

Mr. Analog

Well I can bring over my PS2 and we can test it
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 26, 2013, 09:31:01 PM
Well I can bring over my PS2 and we can test it
Tonight?   jk.

It's something we could try. Though I found a card on ebay from ontario or something, should be here in a few days. if that still doesn't work, its probably the ps2. I tried cleaning off the card's contacts. And the ps2 works fine with ps2 cards. It seems its a known thing with ps2 slims, for some reason they are very finicky wrt 3rd party ps1 memory cards.

It's funny. I was really bored so I decided to see if that el-cheapo scaler worked at all, and if it did, just how bad it'd look (turns out, REALLY bad, i think it thinks the 240p signal is 480i, and so tried to de-interlace two progressive frames into a single frame, and then it upscales the whole thing to 720p i think). Then I kinda got into the game, and hit the first save point and was like "awww fsck". The game sees the card, but it can't save to it, it claims the card is full, even when none of the slots are used. The ps2's browser doesn't see it at all.

Also ordered a couple ps2 controller extensions cause my couch is pretty far away from the tv, you have to hunch forwards to play.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on October 26, 2013, 07:56:21 PM
I wanna hold some semi-regular classic game nights in the future :) let me know if you guys are interested. I have a NES, SNES, N64, and a PS2.

cough.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=super+nintendo+paul+rudd

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

It's one problem after another ::) stupid receiver doesn't want to take audio through any other source when the video input is set to hdmi. god. it's supposed to, otherwise the audio input selections on the menu would be a lot less useful. apparently other people have it working.. gah.

Tom

Quote from: Tom on November 01, 2013, 05:24:36 PM
It's one problem after another ::) stupid receiver doesn't want to take audio through any other source when the video input is set to hdmi. god. it's supposed to, otherwise the audio input selections on the menu would be a lot less useful. apparently other people have it working.. gah.
AVS Forums FTW. Posted a question and not 30 minutes later I get a working solution. rockin.

Tom

(note, that's on a 55" LCD tv from 5ish feet away)

Awww yeah. properly upscaled 240p video. rockin.

append:

This one is more of a direct comparison with the original up above:

Definitely seems cleaner to me.

actually, I should probably directly compare the originals... leme see if I can find em.

Tom

Ok, originals this time.

append: added even closer matches to the original above, in wide and square modes. woo.

Tom

Ok, had to test out the SNES quickly. Couldn't help it ;D

FF3/6 this time.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

So I finally got one of the first party used ps1 mem cards in, and it has ONE save on it. For FF7. Go figure. (it's the game I pretty much bought the card for)