New Star Trek Series Premieres January 2017

Started by Mr. Analog, November 02, 2015, 10:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

It's kindof vague as to whether it will be distributed outside of CBS All Access streaming though.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on November 02, 2015, 10:08:55 AM
It's kindof vague as to whether it will be distributed outside of CBS All Access streaming though.

If they lock it away from TV it will be all over the internet like a rash. They'd be dopes not to

Oddly enough I just watched Star Trek: Renegades yesterday, it was fun but it was more Farscape-y than Star Trek-y
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Darren Dirt

There is a noticeable disturbance in the fan base (i.e. read the comments, most of which are pretty damn skeptical)
http://io9.com/holy-crap-they-are-officially-making-a-new-star-trek-t-1740024705

Quote from: Tom on November 02, 2015, 10:08:55 AM

?This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run Star Trek series has gone before ? directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access,? said Marc DeBevoise, Executive Vice President/General Manager of CBS Digital Media in a press release. ?We?ve experienced terrific growth for CBS All Access, expanding the service across affiliates and devices in a very short time. We now have an incredible opportunity to accelerate this growth with the iconic Star Trek, and its devoted and passionate fan base, as our first original series.?

Seems to be a "release on their streaming service ONLY" at first -- good luck in that working out not terribadly...

PS: coming in 2017, and yet as of right now they don't even have a head writer and/or showrunner. #AmbitiuousTimelineIsAmbitious

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

More importantly to me, the article in the original post mentions who is running this new Trek.  Same people as those behind the rebooted Star Trek films.  And they also are the same people as those in charge of the "hit" shows Scorpion and Hawaii Five-O.  I can tell you now, expect the science part of the sci-fi to be completely @%&#ing wrong.  Like, not even close to what the old Trek shows tried to stick to.  Lots of fast drivingflying, lots of wide camera angles with blurry backgrounds, lots of techno-jargon that means nothing or even worse means the opposite of what they think it means.

At least they're saying so far that the show will not relate to the rebooted movie universe.  But they've also not said that the show will relate to the old Trek universe.  So my guess is they're going to invite a whole new background story for Star Trek, ignoring everything that already exists.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

If they go for the same darkness they did for the movies, I don't know if it'll do that well with the core fans. Maybe with the general audience, but not the fans.

Mr. Analog

Trek will never be the same without Roddenberry this is a fact, when he passed a lot of what made Trek, Trek started to die

But given the extreme dearth of space faring sci-fi of any kind on TV I'll hold out hope
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Have you guys tried to watch Scorpion or Hawaii Five-O?  If those shows are the "hit" shows this guy has been involved with and to be used as a sample of his work, then the new Trek is going to suck balls.  Unless Kurtzman is the executive producer in name only.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

The Executive Producer generally collects resources and manages the budget, so I'm less worried unless he really is the hands on "do it my way type" in which case who knows

Really, all he has to do RIGHT is get good writers, full stop. Everything else can take a back seat to quality writing (something lacking in both Enterprise and Voyager)

TBH I'd be more worried about CBS making executive decisions to try and make people flock to their online service, also if said attention grab doesn't go well ($6 a month? @%&# dat) it's gong to sink the show in 1-2 seasons.

Trek needs to be GOOD with a capital G. Then again TNG didn't find its stride until Season 3 ... so here's hoping
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

You are very right.  A key takeaway from the announcement was that the only real go-where-no-man-has-gone-before quote was that it wouldn't be on TV, it would be on a proprietary streaming system.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 02, 2015, 11:09:49 AM
Trek will never be the same without Roddenberry this is a fact, when he passed a lot of what made Trek, Trek started to die

But given the extreme dearth of space faring sci-fi of any kind on TV I'll hold out hope

Without a doubt the BEST speculative drama fiction on TV is coming from the UK.

Just finished season one of "Utopia" and holy s-word. Also started to watch "The Black Mirror" and it reminded me of the 1990s Outer Limits at its best.

"Sense 8" had a chance at being something long-running and powerful but was way too... well, a number of things that I don't want to list off.

Of course I prefer my scifi/fantasy universes to be simple and briefly depicted in 90-120 minute chunks anyway (aka FILMS, usually surprise gems that I never heard of until I find them on Netflix!) , so I am personally not very excited at all about the new Trek series. Explosions and sound-in-space and paper-thin characters? Go nuts for all I care!

The situational ethical dillemmas etc. are what made Trek Trek, and I gave up a few years ago expecting that to ever come back in a big mainstream way, big screen or small -- at least in the Trek universe. Kids today, they don't want to think, they want to feel... and quickly.

Mr. Analog

The primary reason I didn't like DS9 was it got all "shooty" near the end, both TNG and TOS focused more on the exploration / diplomacy side. In both those shows weapons fired was usually as a last resort defensive measure, to be used as a tool (drilling) or in a very few situations actual combat (the Borg, the Romulans, etc)

I really do like the Space Opera variety of sci-fi / fantasy, the more hard sci-fi stuff is best explored like you say in an Outer Limits or Twilight Zone style (X-Files & Twin Peaks next year baby!!!)

Trek is fun to watch on multiple levels because USUALLY they have some highbrow stuff mixed in with actual watchable television. There are few points in an episode of TNG or TOS where I skip a boring bit whereas something like Sense 8 I feel like there could have been an "abridged" version and nothing would have been lost

But hey, that's just my opinion
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

HEY, I have a great idea for the perfect name they should choose for this new series.

Just to piss off the remaining "old guard" trekkers ;)

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 02, 2015, 04:08:49 PM
The primary reason I didn't like DS9 was it got all "shooty" near the end, both TNG and TOS focused more on the exploration / diplomacy side. In both those shows weapons fired was usually as a last resort defensive measure, to be used as a tool (drilling) or in a very few situations actual combat (the Borg, the Romulans, etc)

I really do like the Space Opera variety of sci-fi / fantasy, the more hard sci-fi stuff is best explored like you say in an Outer Limits or Twilight Zone style (X-Files & Twin Peaks next year baby!!!)

Trek is fun to watch on multiple levels because USUALLY they have some highbrow stuff mixed in with actual watchable television. There are few points in an episode of TNG or TOS where I skip a boring bit whereas something like Sense 8 I feel like there could have been an "abridged" version and nothing would have been lost

But hey, that's just my opinion

I very much agree esp. with the bolded stuff above -- and in a way all great speculative fiction focuses on "exploration" and inter-personal interactions and moral/ethical decision making etc... Whether it takes place in big open space, or in a tiny enclosed space (e.g. just watched "Circle" on Netflix and it takes place in a single room the entire film, with a cast of a couple dozen ... and it was a pretty damned engaging 90 minutes!)

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Darren Dirt on November 02, 2015, 03:28:30 PM

Without a doubt the BEST speculative drama fiction on TV is coming from the UK.

Just finished season one of "Utopia" and holy s-word. Also started to watch "The Black Mirror" and it reminded me of the 1990s Outer Limits at its best.

The modern brilliance known as Black Mirror was created by Charlie Brooker.

Charlie Brooker is and always has been a dark-humoured genius asshole that makes us look at ourselves and want to cry.

"Screen Wipe" (2006)