Urban Dictionary & Internet Vernacular

Started by Thorin, November 22, 2007, 01:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Quote from: Darren Dirt on November 22, 2007, 12:37:04 PM
A week away, and since Thorrin's vehicular services are unavailable for Tom and Mr. Analog, does that mean I do not have any regular interested players?

If anyone talks to Druid or Handsome Devil on a regular basis, maybe check with them if they are interested? As I said, my friend Ryan is on board, so having at least 2 others is all I'd need to have next week go forward.

If not, oh well -- maybe it can be a "every couple of months" special event thing with it depending on Tom or Mr. Analog or Thorrin being able to make it...

Too many r's :P
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on November 22, 2007, 01:50:48 PM
A week away, and since Thorrin's vehicular services are unavailable for Tom and Mr. Analog, does that mean I do not have any regular interested players?

If anyone talks to Druid or Handsome Devil on a regular basis, maybe check with them if they are interested? As I said, my friend Ryan is on board, so having at least 2 others is all I'd need to have next week go forward.

If not, oh well -- maybe it can be a "every couple of months" special event thing with it depending on Tom or Mr. Analog or Thorrin being able to make it...

That is a serious misuse of the comma and a sentence fragment.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Are you stating my text is misusing the comma, or Darren's text is misusing the comma?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 22, 2007, 02:12:20 PM
Quote from: Thorin on November 22, 2007, 01:50:48 PM
A week away, and since Thorin's vehicular services are unavailable for Tom and Mr. Analog, does that mean I do not have any regular interested players?

If not, oh well -- maybe it can be a "every couple of months" special event thing with it depending on Tom or Mr. Analog or Thorin being able to make it...

That is a serious misuse of the comma and a sentence fragment.

Methinks you meant "misuse of apostrophe" (insert Bob The Angry Flower comic link here).

Also I apologize for the misssspelllling, Thorrrrrin. On another online site there's a guy named Tharrin. Get the names mixed up in my typed verbiage :P

PS: FMP  ::)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Quote from: Darren Dirt on November 22, 2007, 04:21:38 PM
On another online site there's a guy named Tharrin. Get the names mixed up in my typed verbiage :P

Heh, poor guy.  I hope it's not his real name :P  I understand how easy it is to get the two mixed up, though.  At least you don't pronounce the h in my name like so many people do even after I tell 'em how to pronounce my name...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Tom

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Tom on November 23, 2007, 11:52:44 AM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on November 23, 2007, 11:22:11 AM
FYP is Fixed Your Post
Not seen either of those abbreviations used. ever.

UrbanDictionary.com is a great resource to translate "Gen-X-Speak" ;)

Also "FMP" was my esoteric way of adding a slight twist to the esoteric acronym, not exactly common (in fact I warn AGAINST searching for it on UD as -- like so many other things on that site -- it appears to be a shorthand for a profane and/or sexual activity/concept)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on November 23, 2007, 02:28:22 PM
FYP is Fixed Your Post

Oh Reginald! I disagree!

*skreeeeeeeeeeeee*

Urban Dictionary is possibly the most abused Wiki ever. It contains a VAST amount of opinionated definitions that are often regional or nonsensical with no etymology provided to verify sources.

(look at the vast array of definitions for "gitch" alone). At best I would say that UD is for entertainment purpose only and / or "use at your own risk".

Also, I'm splitting this thread because while interesting, it went way off topic :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 23, 2007, 03:39:58 PM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on November 23, 2007, 02:28:22 PM
FYP is Fixed Your Post

Oh Reginald! I disagree!

*skreeeeeeeeeeeee*

Urban Dictionary is possibly the most abused Wiki ever. It contains a VAST amount of opinionated definitions that are often regional or nonsensical with no etymology provided to verify sources.

(look at the vast array of definitions for "gitch" alone). At best I would say that UD is for entertainment purpose only and / or "use at your own risk".

Also, I'm splitting this thread because while interesting, it went way off topic :)

But that's what makes it so FUN! ;)

But I certainly can not argue with the signal:noise ratio... Although it has helped me more than a handful of times when something in a forum or online chat (usually an acronym) -- or even some of the references in The Daily Show (like Lewis Black's rants, especially). :)