Plex Collections

Started by Melbosa, February 20, 2021, 01:25:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

I know we have discussed these before, but I was updating my collection posters and came across: https://plexcollectionposters.com/ - so good!

Anyway the previous discussion on collections: https://forums.rwoc.ca/index.php?topic=8810.msg96494#msg96494
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Been spending more effort maintaining them in my library as well.. FYI there are a number of scripts and utilities to help with this now.

Also plex improved the auto collection feature a few releases back so that if you have auto collections on now it will try to find collection art instead of just generating the 4 poster generic one.

Melbosa

Quote from: Lazybones on February 20, 2021, 01:54:28 PMBeen spending more effort maintaining them in my library as well.. FYI there are a number of scripts and utilities to help with this now.

Also plex improved the auto collection feature a few releases back so that if you have auto collections on now it will try to find collection art instead of just generating the 4 poster generic one.
Yeah I tried that, but some of my collections aren't collections it finds.

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on February 20, 2021, 02:06:28 PMYeah I tried that, but some of my collections aren't collections it finds.

Yes, it is just handy when adding content that is. Reduces the work a little.

Word of warning when doing collections in a library where you have set it to hide movies in a collection, make sure your collection name starts with something you would search.

The wife and I were sorting different libraries and suddenly could not find stuff because some of the collections where prefixed with a year / number or something.

It impacts the search as you type results as it prefers collections over individual movies. Some clients display the search results differently.  This can also be fixed with the separate search and display titles but by default they are the same.

Melbosa

Yeah I don't hide my movies if in collection now... just to help with searches.

Melbosa

Once I turned on the Automated Collection stuff (at the bottom of https://support.plex.tv/articles/201273953-collections/ if anyone looking for it) it actually caused me to look for more movies lol.  There will be times when the system will find collections of 1 or 2 movies, and I was like "wait there are more movies?".

Sometimes this is future proofing, as they are collections setup for more movies in the collection that haven't been release yet. Othertimes its just certain movies or originals I don't want in my collection that are missing.

I have since turned it off for the above reason, and cleaned up my collection to what I want it to be. And when I feel like doing a lot of maintenance and downloading content, I will turn it back on.

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on February 20, 2021, 02:59:05 PMThere will be times when the system will find collections of 1 or 2 movies, and I was like "wait there are more movies?".

They also have an option to NOT auto create collections for fewer than 2 movies..

Melbosa

Quote from: Lazybones on February 20, 2021, 06:21:26 PM
Quote from: Melbosa on February 20, 2021, 02:59:05 PMThere will be times when the system will find collections of 1 or 2 movies, and I was like "wait there are more movies?".

They also have an option to NOT auto create collections for fewer than 2 movies..
Where is that option? I must have missed that one.

Melbosa

Quote from: Melbosa on February 21, 2021, 02:26:44 AM
Quote from: Lazybones on February 20, 2021, 06:21:26 PM

Where is that option? I must have missed that one.
Found it, on the Advanced Settings of Managed Library option from the main navigation.  Makes sense that you can do it per library.