Java = Pain. My suspicions confirmed...

Started by Darren Dirt, May 28, 2019, 11:13:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Training completed, ready to put new learnings into practice, but something always felt off, something inside me fighting this, some voice inside my head screaming "But I don't WANNA be a Java developer!"

...explained, maybe, found this today:

https://www.algoexpert.io/product

We Speak 5 Languages.

There's nothing more frustrating than opening an interview prep book, only to find a bunch of solutions in a programming language that you don't know. That's why all of our questions come with complete written solutions in 5 popular languages.

JavaScript, for all you Web Developers

Python, for all you Data Scientists

C++, for all you Old Schoolers

Java, for all you Masochists

Go, for all you Kool Kidz

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

Meh. I've started to like Java in some ways. Other ways not so much. Always pay attention to heap fragmentation in java. Good luck if your data starts to hit the cold heap area. Crap slows to a crawl.

I think my previous experience leads how I want to develop in java, so I resist some of the tendency in java to over engeneer things (eg: Spring, Dagger, etc). But sometimes when I'm working with C/C++ I kindof wish some things I could do in java I could do in C++. But then I also wish there were some things in Java there are in C++. Like compile time templates, rather-than-or-in-addition-to runtime generics. generics can be stupid annoying due to the way they are implemented. no real type safety... IN JAVA feh.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

You lost me until "Generics".

EDIT: but for some reason during lunch I learned exactly why UTF-8 "won" the encoding wars.
I learned that from "Computerphile", a very cool YouTube channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MijmeoH9LT4
"Characters, Symbols and the Unicode Miracle"

But, still don't know most of what you are grumbling out re. Java stuff (I plan on keeping my new direction of my career as simple as possible, tbh :-) )

Tom

Quote from: Darren Dirt on May 28, 2019, 01:29:14 PM
You lost me until "Generics".

But, still don't know most of what you are grumbling out re. Java stuff (I plan on keeping my new direction of my career as simple as possible, tbh :-) )
Oh well, here are a couple of things I've learned (the hard way!) wrt Java.

1. Avoid Generics except in case of simple collection types. those are generally fine in most/all conditions. Doing complex shenanigans can get messy really quick.
2. Avoid allocating a lot of memory, esp. long held memory. The longer its held, the more likely it is for the Garbage Collector to become glacial. Leaks are especially bad.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

Your points make sense.

Also they make sense to me. Which is certainly no guarantee right now :)

Yeah the Generics stuff so far has been in the context of learning The Lambda Way and connected concepts esp. Collections. But I have no desire to find a Generics Nail everywhere now that I have a Generics Hammer... I am just happy that I am more likely to be able to comprehend complex GitHub code and similar now...