Plex media server is slick

Started by Lazybones, June 05, 2012, 12:29:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Tom

Yeah, I saw that recently. But given the description its somewhat annoying. Using the UDP api and has to hash every file before it can do a search for it.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Webpage based Plex client uses HTML video or Flash tags depending on the browsers.. Basically lets you stream plex on just about anything. Although not as robust as the native clients.
http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/42715-plex-web-player-with-a-twist/

Lazybones

So I have had a chance to play with the myPlex functions a little more and I have to say they are lots of fun.

myPlex is required for remote authentication (local lan by default is open). You need to register on their site then set your server up with the account..

This service does a few basic things:
- Common authentication to the server from all external devices iPhone or clients off site
- The option to send content to the device via email or the Plex It Bookmarklet, so online videos can be queued up
- The option for you to selectively share out your libraries to others. IE friends and family can setup MyPlex accounts and access your server remotely, you can then choose which libraries you share with them. (all myPlex clients will show you other servers that have been shared)

I have been testing out the sharing with my brother, it is GERAT, the only down side might be running through one another bandwidth caps from all the upload / streaming. However in general it really solves one of those media collection issues of sharing and remote access... I could be at a friends house and just as easily queue up a movie from my collection as if I was at home.

Lazybones

Plex media server is now officially available on Synology NAS units.
http://blog.synology.com/blog/?p=1012

Tom

I tried myPlex stuff today. I had The Daily Show streaming on my phone in claireview :D If I had headphones, and hadn't seen that ep yet, I probably would have watched the entire thing.

I'll share my server out later once I get it organized a little better.

Lazybones

In the Plex forums there is an XBMC nfo file meta agent as well if you have previously IDed your collection or want to use a third party tool that generates nfo files.

Lazybones

FYI my enjoyment of plex caused me to exceed my cellular data cap last month... WARNING it is addictive.

Thorin

So did that cost you a bunch, or did they just stop you at your cap?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

About $30, so expensive but not international roaming crazy.

Tom

I just get throttled after 5 GB. I doubt I'll go over my cap any time soon.

Melbosa

OK so now that Lazy convinced me to try Plex I have to say this:  CHANGE NOW!!!!

One of the easiest installs I've ever had.  Everything Just WORKS.

Now time will tell if there is issues with some of my releases on my network, but right now it is playing everything, cataloging everything and playing nicely without even having to change my download names at all.

PS3 Media Server has some options I'd like to see here, like the ability to order my Selection Lists myself, but otherwise I'm very happy with the move.

I highly, highly, highly suggest moving off TVersity, PS3MediaServer or any other DNLA server to this one.

On a tremendous note:  I can stream 2x 720p sources to two destinations (one Roku 2, one WD Live) with Plex where I could not with PS3MediaServer.  This is a huge gain in my eyes.

Oh and fast forward works in live time, without having to time stamp jump.  Plex seems to be very well developed indeed.

Maybe XBMC will be the only one to top it?
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on July 30, 2012, 08:07:04 PM
PS3 Media Server has some options I'd like to see here, like the ability to order my Selection Lists myself, but otherwise I'm very happy with the move.

From the media manager web UI you can edit the metadata and specify a different "sort name" from the display name if you like the name but wan a different order. You can also force / pick different poster art.

Melbosa

I meant the Sections themselves, not the data within.  I can't seem to find how to sort that in an order of my choosing, rather than the default alphabetical it does for you.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Aww ok, ya that is a bit annoying.