Home internet Telus offering up to 10Mbit UPlinks in some areas

Started by Lazybones, November 12, 2013, 10:50:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Had a Telus rep making the rounds in my complex.. It appears that at least in my complex which has had a Telus fiber upgrade they now offer a competing plant to my Shaw 50 plan but with 10Mbit uplink..

This has me seriously considering switching.

Tom

Of course they will require you to get triple play. with a 2 year contract at the very least.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on November 12, 2013, 11:06:37 AM
Of course they will require you to get triple play. with a 2 year contract at the very least.

Rep stated month to month dry loop... No bundle required but he was only stating 5mbit uplinks at my door, site states 10mbit..

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on November 12, 2013, 11:09:14 AM

Rep stated month to month dry loop... No bundle required but he was only stating 5mbit uplinks at my door, site states 10mbit..

Unless they changed their entire strategy, to get "Optik", they require triple play, and afaik they don't do month to month.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on November 12, 2013, 11:13:38 AM
Quote from: Lazybones on November 12, 2013, 11:09:14 AM

Unless they changed their entire strategy, to get "Optik", they require triple play, and afaik they don't do month to month.

Might be regional... Also it may have recently changed as these plans are drastically different from what I saw previously. Their CAP also matches shaw...

The Internet 50 Plan from telus reads
50Mbit down
10Mbit up (up to)
400GB Cap
$45/mo for 6 mo
$80 /mo standard

Same as Shaw in my area accept that Shaw only offers 3Mbit up.

Tom

Interesting. Shaw here gives 5mbps on my plan, and will eventually upgrade to 10mbps. 50 is still 3, but should upgrade to 5 when 100 upgrades to 10.

You guys have some new fiber services poking around out there, telus might be getting antsy.

Out here, telus has never really given a @%&# about what shaw offers. They are still stuck with @%&#ty quality iptv, and 50mbps down. when I can get 100mbps internet, and some areas can get 250mbps.

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on November 12, 2013, 11:26:12 AM
Interesting. Shaw here gives 5mbps on my plan, and will eventually upgrade to 10mbps. 50 is still 3, but should upgrade to 5 when 100 upgrades to 10.

You guys have some new fiber services poking around out there, telus might be getting antsy.

Out here, telus has never really given a @%&# about what shaw offers. They are still stuck with @%&#ty quality iptv, and 50mbps down. when I can get 100mbps internet, and some areas can get 250mbps.

Telus and Shaw still own all the wires / fiber in the ground for common residential out here... It is only in the city highrises that there is any fiber competition with Vancouver having more Gigabit fiber options than anywhere in North America... But that is an all or nothing situation.. Ether they service your tower or they don't.

Mr. Analog

Two Words that would make me hesitant: Telus Support

My parents had a rough year with Telus, long queues, slow to get people out on site, crappy work... everything I left behind when I dropped them

(IDK, maybe it's better in BC but Telus residential support is still awful here)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

The one thing Telus doesn't care about is keeping a customer happy. They may try and win you back at the end, sometimes. I hear mixed accounts on that. Sometimes you'll get some amazing retention person, other times they really don't care.

Lazybones

I am thinking a call into Shaw to see if they will match the offer is in order... :)

Lazybones

Called Shaw to "disconnect".

Apparently my area has been upgraded to 5Mbit UP already and I should retest without QoS enabled.
Within the year Shaw will offer 15Mbit Up on Broadband 50 in my area...

Looks like I am sticking with Shaw, unless the price increases AGAIN.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on November 12, 2013, 12:36:52 PM
Called Shaw to "disconnect".

Apparently my area has been upgraded to 5Mbit UP already and I should retest without QoS enabled.
Within the year Shaw will offer 15Mbit Up on Broadband 50 in my area...
Before all the flooding and crap, shaw was rolling out massive upgrades of its network. FTTN everywhere to start, and FTTH to trial areas (mostly new swank neighborhoods, and multitennant buildings).

They originally claimed 50/5, 100/10, and 250/15.. but I can see they'll make exceptions in areas with more competition. I'd certainly like 100/20 or more. that'd be great.

Quote from: Lazybones on November 12, 2013, 12:36:52 PM
Looks like I am sticking with Shaw, unless the price increases AGAIN.
Mine increases 2-5$ every few months. Been like clock work since I signed up.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Confirmed I am NOT getting 5mbit will be calling support tonight

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on November 12, 2013, 01:58:13 PM
Confirmed I am NOT getting 5mbit will be calling support tonight
Have you power cycled the modem (I assume you have, but you never know)? Sometimes they wont automatically re-provision and need to be restarted.