Usamot 2 ideas and zoning

Started by Lazybones, March 10, 2014, 08:59:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 12, 2014, 07:12:21 AM
I still don't get why the nether portal has to line up with anything, must be an OCD thing ;-)
Perfect positioning helps with portals that are within like 1000 blocks.

Quote from: Lazybones on March 11, 2014, 08:29:16 PM
Quote from: Thorin on March 11, 2014, 07:54:33 PM
There is more than a stack of flint in the Survival Shack.  And iron.  And it's all free to use.  And you're posting during D&D, same as me.

Mr. A seems to be hell bent on building everything by hand from scratch not using community gathered resources.

Part of the fun of starting new is not having anything at all. I built that portal frame out of lava and a bucket, got it lit with my first flint and tinder. Shortly after I found my first diamonds. I've smelted enough stone to start my first real build. I had my first death already too but I was able to get home fast enough to get back all my stuff and all my levels

Given that I've actually only played about 3 to 4 hours I've done a fair bit

FYI /home always sends you to spawn, kind of annoying
/sethome helps there I think.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Yeah but How does it help? That's what I want to know. The max distance a portal will link in the overworld is 256 blocks (64 in the Nether), as far as I know the glitch with multiple active portals spawning in the same location is fixed

Anyway, I have a bed, when I right click it says home is set to that bed, but when I respawn or use the /home command it doesn't work. I'll try the command directly I guess.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

The west road goes all the way out to the Mesa biome as of last night as well.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on March 12, 2014, 08:22:26 AM

So cool! I can't wait to see that!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 12, 2014, 08:23:14 AM

Especially before it is strip mined for its multi-color clay blocks.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on March 12, 2014, 08:29:17 AM

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 12, 2014, 08:23:14 AM

Especially before it is strip mined for its multi-color clay blocks.

haha

Where's Teddy Roosevelt to make state parks for us! :)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 12, 2014, 08:15:30 AM
Yeah but How does it help? That's what I want to know. The max distance a portal will link in the overworld is 256 blocks (64 in the Nether), as far as I know the glitch with multiple active portals spawning in the same location is fixed

As far as I know, if portals are a bit too close, they won't link up properly. You'll get a gate where you think it should be, but it'd link to a totally different gate. I don't /think/ that has been fixed, if it is possible. The workaround for that is to "perfect position" the gates up to the exact coords on the x and z planes, and if necessary, y as well.

Mr. Analog

I understand the distance limitations and linking, if there is no active portal in the other dimension accounting for the distance multiplier it will either send you to the nearest one it can find or create a new one.

There was a bug where it would create new ones even though there were valid active portals available, but that should have been fixed.

The distances should be easy to mark, I assume everyone is playing with a minimap of some sort (or at least where you can easily see and mark co-ords)

It shouldn't require people to spurge out and move portals around so they're on perfect x,y,z axis, that's what I don't get :/

(otherwise the troll in me is going to start building asymmetrical buildings just slightly weird enough looking to bug people hahahah J/K of course) hahaha :D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

You don't HAVE to, at least till portals start conflicting. But it can be nice to have it such that it isn't a problem to begin with.

Lazybones

Many of the portals on the old world where broken from being TOO CLOSE... even with closely aligned portals you would end up exiting the wrong one.

Exact aliment of the neither portal just makes it work better.

Thorin

I still don't get why the nether portal has to line up with anything, must be an OCD thing ;-)

I won't deny that my "clean mind" wants it perfect, but it's also because of the way the code calculates which portal to send you to each time you step into it.  It is possible for a portal up to 1,024 blocks away in the overworld to link to the same portal in the nether, and if there are already portals that don't come close to matching their coordinates then this quite likely.  And for those of us building outside of Spawn City, we're all less than a thousand blocks away (less than five hundred, I'd say).

Just look at all the deactivated portals that exist on Usamot 1's Overworld.  I remember Mel going on an exploration through the nether and popping up in other people's portals and deactivating or actually removing them because they interfered with his portals.  Perfect positioning would have stopped the need for him to deactivate anything.

The portal finding code hasn't been "fixed" because it's not considered broken.  So it'll keep working the same, until they decide to implement an actual portal linking mechanism where two portals become a linked pair.

Oh, just spotted your next post about how does it help.  Contrived example: overworld portal built at 0,0, nether portal built at 0,0, second overworld portal built at 1024,0.  Step into the first overworld portal, the game calculates floor(0/8) = 0, so find a nether portal within 128 blocks of 0; the nether portal at 0 is found.  Step into the second overworld portal, the game calculates floor(1024/8) = 128, so find a nether portal within 128 blocks of 128; the nether portal at 0 is found.  Probably not what you wanted, right?

A more likely example: overworld portal built at 0,0, overworld portal built at 512,0, nether portal built at 49,0, nether portal built at 70,0.  Step into the first overworld portal, the game calculates floor(0/8) = 0, looks for nether portal within 128 blocks of 0; finds nether portal at 49,0.  Step into the first nether portal, the game calculates 49*8 = 392, looks for overworld portal within 128 blocks of 392; finds overworld portal at 512,0.  Step into the second overworld portal, the game calculates floor(512/8) = 64, looks for nether portal within 128 blocks of 64; finds nether portal at 70,0.

I simplified the math by only moving portals along one axis - the true measurement includes all three axes to find the closest portal. 

FYI /home always sends you to spawn, kind of annoying

/home sends you to wherever you've set your home; if you haven't set a home, then it sends you to spawn.  To set your home, stand in your favourite spot, looking in whatever direction you like (I look at the crafting table in my hovel so when I appear I can start crafting without turning, yes I'm lazy), then type /sethome.

I thought the bed did it for us, too, because it says "home set" when you use it, but unfortunately it doesn't work.  Using the bed does set your spawn there, though, so if you die you go back to the bed.  The command to use after you die and respawn is /back, that'll take you back to your point of death.

The Nether Castle

By the way, the nether spawn is a giant cavern with swarms of friggin' ghasts blasting away.  The structure I built around the nether portal is ugly to my eye, so feel free to alter it.  I tried to make sure to have lots of glass so that we could see what's where before stepping out into Ghast Alley, and I made the entrances have turns in them so that ghast fireballs can't get into the main part (at first I was just using doors and if the door was left open they'd blast it off its hinges and then put out the portal).  I'd love to see a full castle built.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Thorin

I'm going to miss that multi-coloured, hilly mesa after the strip-mining completes next week...

We need to find more saddles.  I was riding my less-healthful horse (less horse hearts), and I managed to jump out of the pen (two fences high) from a standstill.  She rides like the wind and jumps like a flying squirrel.  When I wanted to put her back, I jumped over the three fences high section of her pen.  I've never had a horse that can jump that high.  I jumped a couple of rivers on her, and I think I rode over a ravine without even noticing it (without jumping!).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on March 12, 2014, 10:39:24 AM
Just look at all the deactivated portals that exist on Usamot 1's Overworld.  I remember Mel going on an exploration through the nether and popping up in other people's portals and deactivating or actually removing them because they interfered with his portals.  Perfect positioning would have stopped the need for him to deactivate anything.

One persons perfect is another persons interference, you'll never escape that problem :)

I know how back and home work, I'm just saying it's not working with beds right now.

I'll try /sethome and let you guys know if that works. Not that I use home/back very often, when I used it last night I ended up in the woods and had to find my way home more than once

Regarding saddles, I'm extremely surprised how adamant Dinnerbone is on not making it a craftable item, it seems dumb to me to have horses everywhere but now you have to go dungeon diving to find the one thing you need to use them properly
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Oh and no, I'm not using a minimap in 1.7.2.  I have Optifine installed for the FPS boost and the connected textures, and nothing else.  I was thinking of getting Voxelmap since Rei has pulled his minimap back to Japanese-only support (and new builds advertised only through his twitter account).  But installing it would take time away from playing...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Weird, I have Rei's working just fine in 1.7.2 :)
By Grabthar's Hammer