New Plex on Roku

Started by Thorin, December 14, 2018, 04:15:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

For those of us with Roku devices, using Plex: https://forums.plex.tv/t/feedback-from-our-roku-channel-release/346749

There was a recent change to the Plex channel (aka app) on Roku.  It's a horrible colour, hard to read, harder to navigate than before, oh, and it also crashes older Roku devices to the point that they reboot every five minutes or less.  So Roku the company has forced reverting back to the old Plex channel on the older devices, and they've also updated their firmware to address performance problems.

If you're on an old Roku device and seeing the terrible new Plex channel, try forcing an update to get the new firmware and get reverted back to the old Plex channel.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

Thx I have a Roku 2 XS model which is 5y old, so yeah I might be one of those peeps.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

My old roku just up and died. Tried to use it and nada.

Recently got a Fire Stick 4k recently. it's also got plex and seems to work ok. Though it does occasionally crash.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

I also have a Roku 2 XS, Mel, that's the one that's been downgraded.  And then I have a Roku 4 Premiere (maybe a Premiere+).

On the Roku 4 I noticed that it seemed like stuff was cut off.  Turns out most TVs overscan and the old Plex channel (god that's a stupid name, it should just be called an app not a channel) on Roku used to compensate for overscanning.  So I had to figure out on my cheap-ass Haier TV how to turn off overscanning, and suddenly the text isn't fuzzy anymore!
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on December 14, 2018, 06:02:56 PM
I also have a Roku 2 XS, Mel, that's the one that's been downgraded.  And then I have a Roku 4 Premiere (maybe a Premiere+).

On the Roku 4 I noticed that it seemed like stuff was cut off.  Turns out most TVs overscan and the old Plex channel (god that's a stupid name, it should just be called an app not a channel) on Roku used to compensate for overscanning.  So I had to figure out on my cheap-ass Haier TV how to turn off overscanning, and suddenly the text isn't fuzzy anymore!
Thats dumb, the roku itself has settings to handle that... Apps themselves shouldn't deal with it.

Lazybones

Over-scan shouldn't even be an issue unless you are using analog connections still.

Thorin

You'd think that, but I have a Roku 4 connected via HDMI to a Haier LCD TV, and I had to manually set overscan off on the TV or else the edges of the Plex screen was cut off.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

I'm surprised LCD tvs still ship with overscan ON by default. Maybe the cheaper brands will because they expect the people buying them will connect up their 60" 4K tv to a VHS deck and be confused when they see the garbage around the screen? lol.

Thorin

"cheap-ass Haier"

it's not a 4K tv

it is a cheap-ass Chinese tv bought from a friend who I think bought it for cheap from Costco
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on December 15, 2018, 10:20:10 AM
"cheap-ass Haier"

it's not a 4K tv

it is a cheap-ass Chinese tv bought from a friend who I think bought it for cheap from Costco
Yeah, I wasn't using you as an example. You're far to knowledgable to blame the store and/or haier for a VHS looking bad on a big tv. It's also getting harder to find nice NON 4k tvs I think?