video: H.264 on the way out?

Started by Darren Dirt, January 21, 2011, 11:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

Unlikely, Bluray and ATSC both support/use H.264. It isn't going anywhere any time soon, but maybe, hopefully more sites will use pure html5 with theora or vp8/webm.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Depends on how they push it really, in theory they could add support seamlessly into YouTube and force an upgrade in their browser that ensures YouTube uses their codec of choice (a little monopolistic, but not unforeseeable), that covers whatever portion of users was using Chrome. Then it's up to IE, FF and Safari, the real win here is video support without Flash (well, at least for Apple users!).

I guess the key will be how well and widely supported any of these video standards is.

Also, Adobe must be pissing itself, I mean beyond Homestar Runner and annoying banner ads what use is Flash going to be under HTML5?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

You can do Homestar Runner in HTML5 too \o/

But flash does support one thing HTML5 will probably /never/ support. DRM. So It probably won't be going away right away either.

Lazybones

Isn't there already a big patent battle looming over webm from the H.264 groups?

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on January 21, 2011, 11:47:43 AM
Isn't there already a big patent battle looming over webm from the H.264 groups?
At the very least noises are being made about it. Some claim that you can't make a modern video codec without infringing on some h.264 patent.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 21, 2011, 11:36:38 AM
Depends on how they push it really, in theory they could add support seamlessly into YouTube and force an upgrade in their browser that ensures YouTube uses their codec of choice (a little monopolistic, but not unforeseeable), that covers whatever portion of users was using Chrome. Then it's up to IE, FF and Safari, the real win here is video support without Flash (well, at least for Apple users!).

Google has pretty much promised not to "lock out" things in their browser, related to this issue. From what I remember reading about a month ago... they're just pushing for a new OPEN standard for video playback from what I can make of all this.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.