Cities: Skylines

Started by Mr. Analog, March 10, 2015, 09:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Ok things where going way too easy...

TIP: pause the game as soon as you have ANY water treatment issues.

I had the game on full speed and disconnected a critical pipe... My entire city was almost abandoned in 1 min due to city wide sewer backups.

Lazybones

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Once I figured out how the industrial specializations worked things started moving much faster and with very little  pollution.

However now my traffic problems are getting to the point that commercial zones are not getting supplies.

I foresee bulldozing some large sections in the near future.

Mr. Analog

I'm really enjoying the challenges of growth. I started a small farm town and even with low pollution the road network is clogged with transport
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I haven't had that much trouble with traffic. Nothing super backed up, just fairly busy. It helps a lot to use roundabouts, and keep things like transport close to industry (ie: if you have a train or sea cargo station, keep it near to the industry), and if you can, cut down on the intersections on main roads. I haven't gotten back to my city yet, but I intend to move my industry over to the new tile with the shipping and other things. I might also re-jig the freeway system I setup... Its a bit of a hack currently :o

And I watched a stream today where a dude got a city with 50,000 people in it with nothing but dirt roads. Turns out cars generally don't stop much on dirt roads, it may be slower, but there are no super large backups like you get with large signaled roads.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 16, 2015, 08:26:14 AM
Hah!

Laid-off SimCity dev launches Patreon for creation of Cities: Skylines buildings
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-16-laid-off-simcity-dev-launches-patreon-for-creation-of-cities-skylines-buildings

Just a talented artist saying "hey if you appreciate my work, pay for what I'd like to do in my free time anyway" but I think it's a reasonable thing to do. Not like he's new to the industry, he's proven his ability so why expect free stuff from him? (which he probably will provide anyway in the future once he secures a new job.)

The above got me to this -- comments are fun to read http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-04-ea-shuts-down-simcity-developer-maxis (mostly "Thanks EA..." and someone boiled it down to their apparent business model formula: " -> Acquire   -> Milk  -> Terminate" ... by the way, did EA really acquire (and then let die) ALL of { Pandemic, Mythic, Bullfrog, Westwood } ?? ** )

(one comment pointed out the headline was kinda misleading, thus providing them justification to also link to this genius XKCD comic that you won't BELIEVE how much it totally NAILED a trend that has been really annoying me the last couple years! )

** guess so; and then again, "death" might have already been effectively in the past anyway, pretty much once EA took 'em over -- see this heart-breaking list of past victims. #missingTheGoldenAgeOfPCgames

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Given how much of a powerhouse The Sims had been for the last 15 odd years it's surprising that EA would shut down the Maxis studio in the first place, it says a lot about the future of "SIM"-brand games, that a small company like Paradox Interactive could have such a successful release of essentially what Sim City should have been kind of tells me everything I need to know about how EA gets things done.

Its tragic that companies like EA hold on to all these IPs and either half-ass them to make a quick buck (Dungeon Keeper mobile) or sit on 'em indefinitely.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on March 16, 2015, 10:24:33 AM
GTA V's Los Santos in C:S

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/14/8214917/tour-grand-theft-auto-5s-los-santos-on-a-pc-in-another-game

Man! So this is the coming together of two modders, one guy built the landmass and another recreated the cities and roads

Fantastic!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I thought they just shut down the head maxis office, not the entire maxis studio. Just the one that dared make a sim city game that failed, based on EA's guidelines..

Melbosa

Started a new one... like this one better :D
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

Are those all roundabouts? or hand made circular roads? (sadly they don't behave the same afaik)