I am confused and somewhat concerned (PC power problem)

Started by Mr. Analog, July 10, 2021, 06:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

So! I have one less computer running on the circuit and I'm using my alt gaming rig and my power is tripping again.

I honestly can't figure this out, I've taken almost everything off the circuit that's causing the problem but it seems like the more I disconnect the more it trips.

Vastly frustrating problem to have!!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

So fingers crossed I have it figured out, I think my really old machine was causing a short somewhere. Since I don't use it anymore I've powered it off and unplugged it, so far so good.

I also moved which power bar my monitor is plugged into, I'm not exactly sure what the draw is but maybe? it was causing a problem??

I'm totally baffled, like I've had extreme loads with 4 PCs hooked up to this outlet and had no problems whatsoever. I unplug stuff and all of a sudden my circuit breaker is tripping balls
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Outlet is bad somewhere maybe... unplugging wiggled it and now it is shorting... guessing here.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Tom

Yeah, if any outlets wiggle, remove the cover plate, try and move them to the center of the box, tighten them down, and put the cover plate back on. If you notice any significant black marks, or melted wire, you'll probably want to get an electrician in to double check things. but if its just a little arcing from the plug being too close/touching the electrical box its probably nothing to worry about after it's centered and locked down. IF you feel confident enough, turn off the breaker for the room plugs and also double check the plugs wire connections are tight as well. Loose electrical connections are a severe hazard. So if you're in there and turn off the breaker, its worth just double checking, especially if you have a weird problem.

My new place had a BUNCH of wiggly plugs. The trailer had a couple loose connections in the breaker box (the breaker box was buzzing. its freaked me out. called an electrician just in case it was something serious, turns out it was just loose connections to the bus bar). Its normally just a case of making sure connections are tight.

But the original power off thing is a tad weird. You'd want to take everything off the circuit and test one thing at a time if all the outelets are more or less fine.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Yeah all my plugs are solid and this problem only appears when I turn my machines off. Having everything running? No problems.

I am perplexed
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 25, 2022, 08:32:16 AMYeah all my plugs are solid and this problem only appears when I turn my machines off. Having everything running? No problems.

I am perplexed
If you have a device/power bar with a ground fault, it can cause a brownout situation that can pop a breaker.  Extremely rare, but is possible.  When powered up you won't see it cause the current will be constant.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on March 25, 2022, 10:55:42 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 25, 2022, 08:32:16 AMYeah all my plugs are solid and this problem only appears when I turn my machines off. Having everything running? No problems.

I am perplexed
If you have a device/power bar with a ground fault, it can cause a brownout situation that can pop a breaker.  Extremely rare, but is possible.  When powered up you won't see it cause the current will be constant.

I never thought of that. Might be time to change my power strips anyway
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 25, 2022, 11:10:18 AMI never thought of that. Might be time to change my power strips anyway

Are they branded or generic power strips.. Many power bars are nothing but bare wires on a conductive plate.

Normally I run my gear through at a minimum an APC / Tripplite / Cyberpower branded power bar with a surge rating.

My main computer and NAS are both connected to their own 1500VA UPS I picked up costco.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

I'm like lazy, either my computers are on a UPS line or on a Name Brand surge protected technical power strip (CyberPower mostly in my house) that comes with hardware guarantee values - for me those seem to be the best for dealing with power.  Most of mine also have an indication that tells me if the line itself is good and grounded properly, regardless of anything being plugged in.

Tom

I /had/ everthing hooked up to UPSs, but my UPS batteries keep dying before I get around to buying new ones, and last time I had time to deal with crap the actual cost to get the large SLA batteries for my UPSs shipped over was a little hard to swallow.

AND the movers managed to destroy one of my UPSs. so now I get to buy a new one. Or see if I can get away with my consumer/soho cyberpower UPS thats been out in the shed/garage for a few years. sigh. its battery is certainly dead and the whole unit might be by now as well. we shal see.

Somehow the power goes out here in the new house more than in evergreen. Evergreen basically has ONE main power grid connection. This part of the city should be fully integrated into the grid. yet somehow we've had two full 1+ hour outages in the past few months.

:shrug:

Powerstrip wise I typically go with beefy strips. Don't usually care about the actual brand, so long as it has some kind of guarantee or is HEAFTY and rated for plenty of KV (of surge protection) and W/VA (load). At least for computers. For random junk, I use just about any power strip as long as it isn't a POS.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!