Small form factor PFSENSE HW that can do greater than 1Gig / SFP+ ?

Started by Lazybones, May 29, 2022, 05:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

I have started looking int refreshing my network and my aging Edgerouter lite is high on the list.. I want to replace it with something that can support 1.5 Mbit Fibre (need SFP+ port), and support local 2.5/5gig network working.

I also do not want to spend over $1000 canadian on this.

From the look of it the top recommendation is an Ebay HP T620 with a network card added to it however not sure if it will have 1Gig+ routing performance.

There are a number of Supermicro boards / setups that will do it but most are well over $1000 CAD.

I would LIKE something smaller than a minitower IE something in the size range of the T620.

Looks like the hp-t740 might be another option but too expensive.

Melbosa

Your speeds are going to push you into corporate network equipment if you are looking for a black box, or some expensive Pfsense hw as you have already found.

You are probably looking at used or using a computer with the right parts.  I am not sure if you can do it for under $1000 without going used.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on May 30, 2022, 10:26:43 AMYour speeds are going to push you into corporate network equipment if you are looking for a black box, or some expensive Pfsense hw as you have already found.

You are probably looking at used or using a computer with the right parts.  I am not sure if you can do it for under $1000 without going used.

Well as per my post I was already looking at used hardware was curious if anyone had some interesting solutions.

The Netgate 6100 appears to be the lowest official appliance that fits the requirements at $1149 CAD.

I figure if I am going to spend that much on hardware it should be more flexible IE the used HP T620 or T740 with a used intel card from Ebay. At least then I could change my distro, or even run it under proxmox / EXi or something for more server services for the cost.

This goes back to Tom's discussion on faster home networking.. I am a bit concerned my ERL might die due its age and Telus / ISPs always just push you up in speed when you try to negotiate discounts. So I am kind of topped out HW wise at the moment.

Unifi has GWs but the functionality is so limited I am not that interested and the Edgerouter line has been slow to get updates in HW or SW lately.. TP-Link Omada is looking interesting but their GW/Firewalls have the same limitations as Unifi and they will not have an SFP+ unit till maybe Q4 this year.

Side note I am considering Omada switches and APs as well when I move to 2.5G+ internally at home, they are cheaper and possibly have less firmware issues than Unifi.

Lazybones

IF I was going to spend over $1000 I would probably go with something like the SUPERMIRO super servers.. Physically still small but basically has everything out of the box and is super flexible.

For example SUPERMICRO SYS-E300-9D-4CN8TP

Edit: with part shortages USED / EBAY may be the only option anyway lol.

Lazybones

Hmm looks like if I am willing to drop to a small desktop PC with a 6th gen CPU ($200) and I am able to find a cheap card (found one on facebook market place for $40) I can get under the $600 mark but it will be more chunky and power hungry.

Mr. Analog

You can't beat that price though wow

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Ok more like $300 for the used desktop but even the used computer shop around the corner has piles of them https://forums.rwoc.ca/index.php?topic=12381.msg104203;topicseen#new

Need a 6th gen Intel CPU or newer to have encryption acceleration on the CPU however.

Melbosa

I've had issues with the CPU 6th Gens and PFSense under load in my experience. I would recommend 8th or higher (Intel talking here).
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on May 31, 2022, 10:09:54 AMI've had issues with the CPU 6th Gens and PFSense under load in my experience. I would recommend 8th or higher (Intel talking here).

Hmm that isn't good.