What would you like to see in a fantasy RPG?

Started by Thorin, March 09, 2005, 08:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan

I played a campaign years ago with some friends and really enjoyed the story. Pretty average at the start, a king has asked that we investigate kidnappings of nobles and the such, and it led us to find (after along time, this campaign was spread over a few months during the winter of course) that a demonic cult has been trying to overthrow the king by removing his support (nobles) and we (party of five) kept tracking down the boss of these kidnappings. It kept leading us farther and farther into the cult. Bigger boss after bigger boss, until we had to face the head of this whole thing which turns out to be a very powerful demon. It was quite fun, but we never did finish.

-----> http://www.stickdeath.com/ <-----
click on "Martyr Machine" f'n hilarious!!!!

Thorin

Quote from: "Bryan"It was quite fun, but we never did finish.
That's the story of every campaign I've ever played or DM'd <_<  
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Bryan

and it was pretty rare that I had a character that got past level 6 or so

Shayne

Ive particpated in 3 campaign's that i find truely memorable (not counting Analogs :P).

The first was a Ravenloft boxed expansion.  While it was rather short (4 or 5 weeks), i found the whole vampire and setting rather unique.  With the help of an pre-defined campaign it makes things go by very smooth.

The second was a campaign that I DM'd.  It was 100% rogue focused.  No real mission, just amassing wealth, reputation, and the eventual party execution by the ruling king.  I felt if very unique because i put the players in a position that was hopeless.  A dungeon with no escape, a legion of guards, and an inevitable death.  It wasnt till about 5 minutes before the first axe fell that the players realized it was all over.  Very enjoyable, and a very unique ending i think.  Playing a campaign with no plot makes for a very heavy RPG element as the players decide the path and the DM has to be very quick wit about the surrondings.  I made notes as the game progressed, but never planned elements to far in advance, back story was always off the top of my head and recorded for refernce.  We ran this for over a year and before i moved to Cold Lake I ended it.

The third was a "Heroes" game.  Im not sure the books for this RPG still exist, but you create super heros and battle villians.  I found it rather enjoyable because the rollplaying was very easy.  Modern setting, modern ideals, modern ideas of how super-heroes and villans work.  Never completed, but the once every 2 week "episodes" were entertaining.  City in perial, learn about villian, foil villans plans.

Bryan

Ravenloft is a great setting for a good campaign.