Main Menu

Compy Woes

Started by Mr. Analog, February 22, 2006, 10:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

So, okay, I think that hardware hates me sometimes, I ripped apart my old systems (mobo, HDs, power, etc) and put my new hardware in my case, worked fantastic at the LAN and is still kicking along nicely. So I decide to put my old hardware in one of my large ATX server towers (I think Mel and Lazy both have the same kind of case) and now the hardware don' work no mo'

I have rechecked the wiring 3 times (I've done it enough times now to know that it's wired properly). But it won't boot up, here's what I'm doing:

1. Power on, power supply "on" switch

2. Mobo power LED is green, if connected NIC LED lights up (also shows connectivity on router)

3. Hit case power:

----Power supply fan does not move

----CPU fan turns about 3 times

----LED still green

----NIC still green

----No other lights

At this point it just sits there, inert. If a warning code beeped that would be something but not even that happens, so I'm at a loss.

Could it be a short or a grounding problem? I have tried multiple power supplies, cords and wall sockets. I disconnected each drive one at a time, removed the video and NIC to see if the motherboard would throw warnings (it didn't).

So... any ideas?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

If you hadn't tested other PSUs I would have suspected that first.

Have you tried re-seating the RAM?

Tonnica

A couple guesses:

• Motherboard grounding issue: there could be a screw that is touching the motherboard (a cause of this can be a loose screw in the bottom of the case that's touching the very bottom of the motherboard)

• PSU set to 10 when it should be set to 11 (that's one more you see): can't hurt to check what wattage the PSUs you've tried are set to, it could be as simple as that

• The wall socket/powerbar you're trying to plug it into is faulty and therefore not dishing out enough juice

[/list]

All things said and done, it seems like either your PSUs aren't dishing out enough juice or not getting enough in. I think I've seen this happen before (in a PSU-is-not-dying-of-natural-causes kind of instance), but I have to remember the exact situation first.

Mr. Analog

I tried both wall sockets.

If there was no ram on the board would it behave as I observed?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

Definatly PSU.  Ive had this exact issue.

Mr. Analog

I tried two of them, also one of the power supplies was in use and working 6 days ago.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: "Mr. Analog"I tried both wall sockets.

If there was no ram on the board would it behave as I observed?

Depends on a the board, some would beep.

To get anything up on the screen you need a minimum of PSU, MB, CPU and RAM.

Fedora Gal

if there is no ram on the board it should still give you warning beeps and your fans should run. Specially the one on the PSU...

Have you tried maybe doing a PSU test... I think you can find a walk through on the net that will let you simulate the on-off button by jumping two of the PSU connectors... I think, don't quote me on that, I'd find a way to test your PSU individually first, while checking your mountings on your MOBO etc. If your fans are only turning a couple times it's definately a lack of power issue.
When the going gets tough, the tough make lemonade!

Melbosa

Hmmmm can be a bunch of things... I would start at basics.  Mobo, Ram, CPU, PSU, Vid.  If you just mounted your mobo in the case, possibility of a screw on the backside grounding it.  Best bet is just go with the 5 above, out of the case, and jumper the power jumper on the mobo with a screw driver to see if it will boot.  And then go from there.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

I would put some ram on the board before doing any more testing..

Beeping, or LED warnings are dependent on the MB maker. As I stated before it does sound like a PSU issue but you also say you tested other PSUs with it.. That would leave me to believe the MB it self has an issue or as Tonica suggested, you have grounted it somewhere, maybe with a loose screw or an incorrectly placed screw riser.

Mr. Analog

It's an ASUS A7V333, I think even if it's not beeping the LED is supposed to turn red or orange (or some other colour).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Fedora Gal

as a sorta unrelated but kinda relavent thing, you can pick up a PSU tester for about $20 from any tech store, handy little tool, will let you know if you've got power on all the right pins etc.

Since you've tested other PSU's though (missed that earlier hehe) most likely a grounding issue, most Asus MOBO's that I have encountered beep if they have no ram.
When the going gets tough, the tough make lemonade!

Ustauk

Could the motherboard be fried?  I was having a friend upgrade my computer a while back, and the plan was to just replace the CPU, but the board somehow died between the time I last turned it on and the time we placed the new CPU on it.  I got another board, and everything worked fine.  Murphy at his finest, I guess.

Mr. Analog

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the board is just shorting out somewhere.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Adams

I have that board... if you want it I can give it too ya.

A7V333, right?
"Life is make up of 2 types of people...
50% of People who do want to do things
50% of people who do not want to do things
The rest are all forced to do things."

Mr. Analog

Yep, I didn't work on it last night, might not get a chance until Sunday but I'll post an update here later.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Adams

I am happy to give ya it... rather the wife is happy for me to get rid of it :D

I have a few extra odds and ends around.
"Life is make up of 2 types of people...
50% of People who do want to do things
50% of people who do not want to do things
The rest are all forced to do things."

Thorin

And I'll be happy if you give it to him, because the computer he's patching together out of old parts is going to me :D  It'll be nice to have something faster than a P4 1.3GHz with that interminably expensive RDRAM.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

Thought I would post this offer up...

I am always looking for any Comp Parts anyone wants to get rid of.  I use them for building workstations or ad-hoc servers for development and repairs.  This server that houses RW is infact a donated CPU from Drunkener at one point, so I have use for all your unwanted PC stuff.

So any time any of you have stuff you wish to get rid of, and don't already have someone who needs it (like what Adam and Mr. A. are talking about here) feel free to contact me for a pick-up :D.

Thorin

Even if it's a Pentium 166Mhz (no MMX, mind you)?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Ustauk

Damn, I saw an eMachine 400 mhz on the giveaway shelf in my buildings waste room the other day.  I was tempted, but I really didn't need it, and it was gone the next day.  To echo Thorin, would that have been a too low end machine for you to take?

Melbosa

I take it all... pass it all along.  I have been known to take 486s as well.

Mr. Analog

Ok, I found the problem, but I either fried the board or the vid card I have here to test it is kaput, anyone got a spare vid card?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Ok, for some reason I had a DOA GeForce4 lying around my house, anybody lend me a GeForce4?

Good news! I found it!

Bad news! DEAD.
By Grabthar's Hammer