Sat. February 3rd poker @ Dirt's

Started by Darren Dirt, January 22, 2007, 10:18:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Ustauk on February 01, 2007, 10:30:40 AM
My cars fixed, so I can give you a ride, if you don't mind the back seat, since the front is reserved for my girlfriend.  My girlfriend says she'd like to give it a try, buy the way.  Darren, could you repost what we need to bring in the way of cash?  Thanks.
As soon as I get a "final tally" of who is definitely gonna make it. But most likely $30 each, however the payouts or whatever ends up being... It'll be a 1st/2nd place payout, the rest (bounties, bonuses, both or neither...) I guess we can "vote" on Saturday night (even though "my ship is not a gorram democracy!" ;) )

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

HandsomeDevil

That's cool, Ustauk, I'll bring my own ride. That's wicked your ol' lady is coming. Five people makes a tournament style game feasible. I guess if we were 4 handed we could do a low-limit cash game though (static blinds, cash out whenever you like for whatever is in front of you).

Dirt, I'm guessing you're good for chips, cards, etc... Need us to bring anything else (beer? food? broads?)?

Darren Dirt

I am leaning towards agreement re. your view on 4 players being more fun with a ring game/cash game, unchanging blinds (probably SB/BB of 0.10/0.20 thus $20.00 is 100 big blinds, meaning it'll still take a dozen or more big pot losses to bust out), with standard Limit Hold'em rules i.e. 4-bet cap every round except unlimited when headsup at the river).

If 5 or more do show up, we can still do that or else we can go the mini-tourney route. I'm fine either way.

Bring beverages of your preference, I'll be providing a 2L of Coke and one of Mountain Dew (caffeine free, damn tasty stuff). I've also got a 200g bag each of pretzels, chips, and nacho cheese Doritos. That and pizza will prolly be enough but again if you have other fave munchies feel free to bring 'em.

Also, PM me anyone if you don't have my address. See you at 7!

Darren Dirt

...the story so far...

$20.00 buyin from each of us, separate from the cost for pizza, and the game was afoot. After a few episodes of Aqua Teen Hunger Force just to lighten things up. :D

And then the game was afoot. A lot of folding from Handsome Devil, and a bit less folding from Darren Dirt, as we eyed each other and talked poker pros and tournament experiences. The new folks to limit hold'em saw a lot of flops, and just about as many turns and rivers. The night looked promising for some of us, but as I said later I had to turn "hustler" mode on. ;) (or so I thought...)

Ustauk surprised us all by bringing in his Secret Weapon, his gal whose birthday is like tomorrow. Congrats to her, she's now rich thanks mainly to me -- she busted me out at 3am. We had decided to play a few more hands and raised the blinds to .50/1.00 from the .10/.20 that they were all night, when Handsome Devil left at 2:45am with his 26.50 (net gain of $6.50, or 32.5% profit, yum!)

I'm an idiot, what was I thinking. Shoulda just called it a night. ::)

I got bullied by her bluff river bet into folding a winning K9, only to stir up the courage to call her when she had made 2-pair with her pocket AK (this was 3-handed, nice cards!) That was it for me. Busted. Helped her cash out to the amount of $44.00. Not bad for someone playing her very first game of Hold'em!

My brother ("Dragon" on the forum, not that he ever logs in) was smart enough to sit out before my courageous defeat, with only a $10.00 loss. Glad he could make it, too bad his monster hands didn't pick up monster pots most of the time.

And Ustauk? He pretty much broken even -- seriously, he cashed out with $20.50. It's like he was Seinfeld in that episode where George kept having all the good luck and Elaine had all the bad luck, and Jerry just had it all balance out.

Next time we decide to keep playing at 2:45 am, we'll just double the blinds, not go nuts like we did. Or maybe I'm just guilty of sour grapes :)

But great fun all around, thanks you guys for being great guests, and thanks especially for the last few hours there when my $1.50 stack got back to $14.00 due to your calling down my bets to the river so often ^_^. I shoulda quit while I was almost ahead. ;)

I plan on hosting again 3 weeks from now -- limit cash game if 5 or less players, otherwise a mini-tourney with 1st/2nd 80%/20% and a bounty or best hand prize or both. Either way, it'll probably end closer to 1am (not 3!) and I hope to see more of you there (I presume that will be a non-DnD Saturday).

Merry Sunday to all and to all a good night.

Dirt.

Ustauk

Thanks for hosting Darren, it was a great game.  My girlfriend and I had a lot of fun.  We're headed later today to a birthday party for a friend of hers; her birthday isn't until July.  I look forward to playing again.