Super Mario Galaxy My thoughts

Started by Lazybones, January 15, 2008, 01:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

Well I have rescued the princes and collected 91 stars, for those that have the game you know how far I am.

I would have to say I agree with Yahtzee's review on many points.

Pro:
- It is a great plat former
- it has a great variety of enemies and worlds
- it is fun.

Con:
- camera control is a problem in places
- controls switch in odd ways when changing gravity or walking upside down on round objects

Over all I found the game too easy in the first few worlds but the difficulty quickly increased. Near the end some of the levels are crazy. I am not sure if I will be able to complete the second ending, I have run into a roadblock in terms of difficulty and lack of fun for the remaining challenges I have found so far.

In the end this is a must have Wii game, just don't expect to reach 100% completion quickly or without frustration unless you are a Mario god of some sort.

Mr. Analog

That's an interesting review. I'm sure Tonnica will chime in with her thoughts. I've been interested in trying this game but I wonder just how challenging it really is (if you strive for 100% completion or not). It seems to be about the same difficulty as Mario 64 (not a bad thing).

How many hours did you log on it to get to completion?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I will have to see if the game logs the hours. I was playing 2.5 hours a night for several days.  I could have rescued the princess WELL before I did but I was still having fun doing the other challenges. The game lets you work on many worlds at once (within some limits, and not right away) and you don't need to complete them all to rescue the princess.

100% will take a lot of effort from what I see, you can rescue the princes at about 75% and get the credit roll if you want. Game starts very easy, maintains an average difficulty, then gets hard and then VERY hard.

Lazybones

P.S. I hate Spring Mario, it is the WORST power up in the game.

Thorin

Quote from: Lazybones on January 15, 2008, 02:41:25 PM
I will have to see if the game logs the hours

Doesn't the console log the hours?  In the Wii Message Board (icon on the bottom left of the main menu)?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on January 15, 2008, 02:55:05 PM
Quote from: Lazybones on January 15, 2008, 02:41:25 PM
I will have to see if the game logs the hours

Doesn't the console log the hours?  In the Wii Message Board (icon on the bottom left of the main menu)?

If I want to thumb through about 3 weeks worth of pages to find the times I played.. I find the Wii calendar interface to be VERY poor.

Thorin

Well, it's more a message board like a cork board than an actual calendar...  Still, +/- buttons to move to next and previous days, A button to select a message and read it?  Not super-dee-duper hard.  But you're right, it's not completely chewed for you.

Remember back when we used to have to write down on paper how long we actually spent playing?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Melbosa

Quote from: Thorin on January 15, 2008, 03:09:28 PM
Remember back when we used to have to write down on paper how long we actually spent playing?

Huh?  You assume I cared how long I played for :P  All I know is that when I thought about it, I was staving, had to take a pee break, and should have been in bed a long time ago :D
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Well, it's more a message board like a cork board than an actual calendar...  Still, +/- buttons to move to next and previous days, A button to select a message and read it?  Not super-dee-duper hard.  But you're right, it's not completely chewed for you.

I think we've all been spoilt by Steam...

http://steamcommunity.com/id/mr_analog

As you can see, I virtually live in Vice City...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

And this would be a good use of my time? I have never written down how long I play, but have always been amused when the stat is stored in the game I have been playing.