FF7 On Steam?

Started by Tom, July 06, 2013, 12:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

http://store.steampowered.com/app/39140/

Oh my god am I tempted. If it were on linux, that would be an immediate sale. No questions asked. As it is... Maybe later.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Holy crap! For $12!!

Is it the same or updated?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I hope its updated.. It ran like absolute crap on my P2 with a TNT2. Why? Because my computer was too fast. And it only had special acceleration code for the TNT1 card ::)

Mr. Analog

From what I can tell it's been optimized for PC
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

They'd have had to make changes to the engine. probably a new engine. the old one was absolute crap back when I played it, and that was a year or two after it came out.

I wish it was based on the psx engine because there's a few bugs I'd like to exploit that didn't exist in the pc engine. :(

Mr. Analog

I'm guessing this is a remake for PC rather than an emulation, but I can't be sure.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

There was already a remake for the PC. Which is what I was mostly talking about.

I actually got a copy of the PC version when it came out, but my computer at the time only had a Mach64, which wasn't even close to enough to be able to play it. Then I got a new computer a year or so later that had too much power because that stupid engine used busy waits and sleeps to time stuff  ::) and it wasn't timed by actual time, but cpu time, so faster cpu == faster stuff. it was kinda nice for some of the animation sequences you couldn't skip.. but eh.

Mags

"Optimized for PC ? FINAL FANTASY VII has been updated to support the latest hardware and Windows Operating Systems.
"
"Bleed all over them, let them know you're there!"

Tom

I was just wondering if they used the same code from the Eidos port.

Mags

Quote from: Tom on July 06, 2013, 11:52:34 AM
I was just wondering if they used the same code from the Eidos port.

"[IG]CelticDog   1 hour ago     
Its the 1998 PC version with terrible cloud saving features and a few achievements. The audio may also sound god awful unless you change the sound files. I managed to address all the initial frustrations by disabling cloud save and swapping the audio... Long story short, SquareEnix dropped the ball on this, and its just a Steam edition of the 2012 re-release(1998 PC version with cloud saving) they did on their site."

Lot's of complaints on the forums, but quite a few running it fine. So, sound's like the timing issue was fixed, but a lot of other problems, not so much.
"Bleed all over them, let them know you're there!"

Tom

Ok, so less interested now.