Apple Ads

Started by Darren Dirt, January 03, 2013, 11:37:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

from 1975 to 2002.

http://bgr.com/2012/10/18/apple-ads-evolution-pictures-1975-2002/

(article is from late 2012)

funny comment: "Actually they were always assholes. They were cool assholes."

full article found here: http://www.retronaut.co/2011/10/evolution-of-apple-ads-1975-2002/

one thing I noticed, very text-heavy at the start with lots of puns and focusing on business owners and Windows-haters.

Up to 2002 (and until today) it's gone to a different extreme, very "white" with almost no information, almost entirely curves and implied "feel", "all style no substance" basically.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

I think what makes something cool is that it does something intentionally bold without apprehension.

If that makes any sense.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 03, 2013, 11:49:18 AM
I think what makes something cool is that it does something intentionally bold without apprehension.

If that makes any sense.

actually, interesting that you'd choose the bolded word. Because according to Wikipedia there's 2 very different meanings...

apprehension (understanding), awareness or understanding of something by the mind.
apprehension (fear), a fearful emotion, the fear of the unknown.

so depends which you mean "without".

"bold without fear" = yeah, formula for cool fo' sho'.
"bold without awareness" = lol, accidental genius ftw! "Think Different", indeed!

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Both actually, I picked that word specifically because it has two meanings

Some people do things without fear and they know it, that's what makes them cool.

Elvis knew Ed Sullivan wouldn't show him thrusting his junk on TV... but he did it anyway.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Well originally they had to help educate the masses about what a personal computer was, what it could do for you, and what you could do on it.  By the turn of the century, most people had a rudimentary idea of what a computer was and what they could do on it.  And then Apple started becoming a fashion symbol thanks to the iPods.

Quote from: Darren Dirt on January 03, 2013, 11:57:01 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 03, 2013, 11:49:18 AM

If that makes any sense.

actually, interesting that you'd choose the bolded word. Because according to Wikipedia there's 2 very different meanings...

apprehension (understanding), awareness or understanding of something by the mind.
apprehension (fear), a fearful emotion, the fear of the unknown.

so depends which you mean "without".

"bold without fear" = yeah, formula for cool fo' sho'.
"bold without awareness" = lol, accidental genius ftw! "Think Different", indeed!

I'm pretty sure he meant bold without fear, that's how I parsed that sentence, as otherwise it wouldn't really make sense to me.  Mostly because he also used the word intentionally, thus indicating he is not talking about something done without awareness.

I tihnk it's time to watch another Hot For Words video.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

The Thorin has detected a potential tautology, Analog grammar unit malfunction!
By Grabthar's Hammer