Call of Duty: Ghosts, "explained" by Cracked

Started by Darren Dirt, November 28, 2013, 03:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

I think he described exactly the last Call of Duty I played, The first one.... or maybe the second one....

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on November 28, 2013, 07:08:50 PM
I think he described exactly the last Call of Duty I played, The first one.... or maybe the second one....

You mean the one in WW II where you fight the Nazis?

Mr. Analog

Yer gonna have to narrow it down :lol:

Though to be fair you could do the same thing with most genres

Hey remember that JRPG where a group of adolescents confront a sinister plot to rule the world?
The one where the final boss has multiple forms?
Where you are betrayed by a friendly NPC?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Remember that soccer game where you could play as Pel??

Remember that hockey game where you could play as Ryan Smyth?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Or that John Madden football game!

Or that fighting game with lots of colourful characters from around the globe?

Or that shooter where you fly to the right shooting an increasing number of enemies

!!

I hope Cracked is hiring, 'cos damn I'm a gold mine over here! :D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on November 29, 2013, 02:02:47 PM
Remember that show with all the reality?

I'm actually straining here... Mythbusters? The Daily Show?

;)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Counter point:

Each year the sports games are set in a different season with up to date team rosters... CoD has been set in WWII and had a D Day run how many times?
Fighting games, new characters are added and new combo systems central to the game.

Thorin

If I understand correctly, the different D-Day runs in WWII-based CoD have been as part of different units, no?  Isn't that the same as having up-to-date team rosters?

But yeah, there's lots of repetition in many of the games these days.  Just ask Mario how many times he's going to drive a car for a game.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

The new mario seems interesting. I'd probably suck horribly at it.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on November 29, 2013, 03:12:41 PM
The new mario seems interesting. I'd probably suck horribly at it.

The nice thing with Mario though is that you expect to fall in holes and stuff, Mario is so chill

COD on the other hand if you blow some part before a checkpoint you have to go through a lot of cutscene crap to get back to that point, very annoy

To be honest the thing I've enjoyed about the COD series is how they finally got away from terminating waves of NAZIs and focused on more fanciful subjects like futuristic stuff. UNfortunately the gameplay hasn't really evolved since maybe CoD 2, actually it may be worse as the mission levels are a lot more linear and the weapons still pretty basic.

At least with something like Bioshock Infinite, even with the @%&#ty combat engine and extremely limited arsenal, gave you the ability to zip around and explore battlefield arenas rather than just trudge down a more or less linear path.

CoD is actually kind of a chill experience, just shoot guys and move to the next point, then shoot some more, maybe a scripted thing will happen, if the game looked like ass people wouldn't care but it's pretty to look at and generally easy and well, guys like things that look good and are easy.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Apparently even relatively casual gamers are mega-disappointed by COD:Ghosts , this cynical guy* says it looks like it's from 2008, and yet causes ridic stutters and low framerate on his high-end machine (and couldn't even achieve 60fps framerate on the XBone!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAgc43e-zp4

*TotalBiscuit , who also assesses the equivalent multiplayer in Battlefield 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQl4gWVesm0

Mr. Analog

I don't know why people are so surprised that the game is still optimized for 360 / PS3 (i.e. ancient hardware) and I've yet to see a AAA game that wasn't framelocked at 30 fps on console (ANY console, next gen or otherwise)

But I guess if guys like TB didn't whine about crap they wouldn't get the clicks and the dollars that come with them.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

The problem is that the game hasn't been optimized for /anything/. It studders and locks on some of the most powerful PC hardware.