THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: BREATH OF THE WILD

Started by Melbosa, March 03, 2017, 10:52:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2017/03/02/the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-review

Got a 10!  Anyone else interested in this game?  I am so glad I kept my Wii U, cause in typical Nintendo fashion, they have shorted the supply of the Switch for consumers.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

I swore off pre-ordering after No Man's Sky

After seeing it in action now and also finding out that there's very little difference between the Wii U and Switch version I'm thinking of picking it up this weekend.

It really breaks from the Zelda formula
- No Tutorial
- No linear dungeons
- VASTLY open world

Sounds like my kinda game

FYI for those who are interested in what the differences are:
Wii U resolution: 720p
Switch resolution: 900p (when docked)
Switch adds more atmospheric sounds
Switch has a slightly better draw distance

Both run at a sluggish 30 fps
Both have slowdown issues in roughly the same spots

http://nintendoeverything.com/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-wii-u-vs-switch-final-build-comparison/
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

I'm thinking of ordering from Amazon now.  With Prime they are offering 20% off all Pre-Orders and New Releases!

Thorin

Breath of the Wild was released for Wii U?  I thought Nintendo said there'd be no more games created for the Wii U?

It'll probably be Splatoon 2 that causes my household to get a Switch...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on March 03, 2017, 11:39:50 AM
I'm thinking of ordering from Amazon now.  With Prime they are offering 20% off all Pre-Orders and New Releases!

Dang son, that sounds like a good idea (Prime bros *high five*... my house is full of Amazon boxes)

Quote from: Thorin on March 03, 2017, 11:41:15 AM
Breath of the Wild was released for Wii U?  I thought Nintendo said there'd be no more games created for the Wii U?

It'll probably be Splatoon 2 that causes my household to get a Switch...

Breath of the Wild was in development hell for the Wii U for a long time and then ported to the Switch architecture (I suspect some parallel development)

BE FOREWARNED! Nintendo has not yet decided on it's pricing model for online play, they are going the route of XBox Live Gold / Playstation Pass, they haven't worked out what the pricing scheme is yet.

I'm holding off on the Switch until I see more games I want to play (in the meantime ... gently strokes GeForce 1080 Ti ... OW! HOT)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Now I just have to finish a bunch of other games before Tuesday!

Batman Arkham City story mode I WILL DECIMATE YOU
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 03, 2017, 11:57:43 AM

Nice.  I have to hit up a Petro on the way home to get some Amazon gift certs for my Points, and then I'm putting in my Order as well.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on March 03, 2017, 01:36:39 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 03, 2017, 11:57:43 AM

Nice.  I have to hit up a Petro on the way home to get some Amazon gift certs for my Points, and then I'm putting in my Order as well.

SCORE!

FYI the min delivery is 2 days, I expect they are a bit backed up with orders (even with the Wii U version)

I'm genuinely looking forward to this, now to try and avoid any further livestreams spoiling it

Spoiler
I caught one stream briefly last night where a guy was in a "dungeon" which was like a giant steampunk version of an AT-AT from Star Wars wandering a desert... Link was wearing a female (Gerudo? not sure) outfit because apparently he would overheat in the desert and that was the only light clothing available to him
[close]

I still have to play Twilight Princess HD augh...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

I like that this one is set in the future,and HiRule {sp?} is a completely new world.  Supposedly the main quest line is to figure out what happened to the Princess, and only after about 40h of main story play will you find out what happened.  Otherwise I've heard that there is probably 110h of full game play in the game - 110H F'n HOURS!  That is insane.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on March 03, 2017, 01:55:05 PM
I like that this one is set in the future,and HiRule {sp?} is a completely new world.  Supposedly the main quest line is to figure out what happened to the Princess, and only after about 40h of main story play will you find out what happened.  Otherwise I've heard that there is probably 110h of full game play in the game - 110H F'n HOURS!  That is insane.

Yeah, it's intriguing for sure.

You should see some of the early designs, it had Link wearing a hoodie, riding a motorcycle and wielding a "flying v" guitar it's SO BAD... (not quite FFXV levels but still...)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on March 03, 2017, 02:30:53 PM
Seems like your inventory is limited. :o

Equipment also has durability, so you'll find a weapon and it will only last so long.

My guess is that there will be a point where you find the iconic hero gear and it won't break. It does make me wonder if there are weapon mods / crafting... (50s rock n' roll plays silently in my head)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Supposed to be limited crafting in the game, not a lot, but not a little.

Melbosa

Saw some interesting game play; One that struck me is really neat is if you swing a metal weapon while it is storming out you could accidentally get hit by lightning... and this also applies to the enemies you fight as well.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on March 03, 2017, 03:27:57 PM
Saw some interesting game play; One that struck me is really neat is if you swing a metal weapon while it is storming out you could accidentally get hit by lightning... and this also applies to the enemies you fight as well.

Also armor you are wearing... though it's a bit fantastical as the GIFset I saw that showed that feature had Link running near large stone pillars

*Morbo Voice* LIGHTNING DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY
By Grabthar's Hammer