Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure

Started by Thorin, June 11, 2012, 12:42:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

My youngest got Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure for his birthday this year and it's impressed me, so I thought I'd write a bit about it.

Skylanders thus far has been a great, well-polished game.  It has a gimmick where you can buy little statues that you put on a special device that activates the character in-game.  I just learned today that the statues actually have memory in them so you can take them to your friend's house and still have all the abilities you unlocked at home.  And it's device-independent, so if we have the Wii version and they have the PS3 version, we can still use our statues in both.

The video's good, the audio's good, the voice acting is good (over the top at times, but that's fine in a kid-oriented game).  No glitches thus far, which is a nice change from the Minecraft that has been played (a lot!) in this house over the last month or so.

You can expand the game by buying "adventure packs", which are more little statues that add new levels to the games, and there's thirty-two skylander statues to buy as well.

I just watched some gameplay, and although it's a game on a rail I think this is perfect for the intended audience.  There's clear objectives and although much of the game is shooting enemies with coins / water / dragon fireballs, I've seen a couple of puzzles in the form of locks as well.  Also, different zones are attuned to different types of skylanders (earth, water, magic, tech, etc), so it pays to switch characters at certain stages.  This is done by simply picking one up off the Portal of Power and putting another one down.

Hmm, and for those statues remembering things, my son just had to restart his chapter because all three of his skylanders were down to zero health ("this skylander needs a rest"), and the statues remembered when we took them off and put them back on what their health status was.

I foresee a trip to the store to buy another one to three skylanders soon :P
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

New Skylanders "Sidekicks" Arriving in Frito Bags in Two Weeks?
http://m.kotaku.com/5920863/

Hope you like chips

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on June 24, 2012, 03:07:17 PM
New Skylanders "Sidekicks" Arriving in Frito Bags in Two Weeks?
http://m.kotaku.com/5920863/

Hope you like chips

Or ebay :D
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I LIKE CHIPS

also, they're only in-game, not the plastic figurines.  So not sure if my little guy'll notice.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful