is anybody else having problems with Shaw DHCP

Started by Mr. Analog, October 05, 2013, 02:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

at first I thought it was my ?quipement because I've had problems with this router before but it looks like my system is working okay it's just that Shaw DHCP seems to be down, it keeps trying to renew DNS over and over and over
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I think you mean DHCP? You don't really renew DNS.

SHAW does tend to have problems with both its DNS and DHCP servers. And the past week ro so I've been having issues. Just today my connection was down (very) briefly, and a couple days this week I was having the strangest issues, some sites would only partially load, youtube was half broken, I couldn't post messages to the forum here because the POST would time out, but I could read messages just fine, etc.

I dunno. I think they are in huge flux right new due to all the system upgrades and repairs.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Indeed. one of the sites I had issues with this week was the issue tracker @wurk.

Mr. Analog

I called Shaw apparently this is a issue they are currently working to resolve
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 05, 2013, 02:29:08 PM
at first I thought it was my ?quipement because I've had problems with this router before but it looks like my system is working okay it's just that Shaw DHCP seems to be down, it keeps trying to renew DNS over and over and over

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p85xwZ_OLX0

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

Heh. It's funny, I spent hours messing with my firewall cause I thought it was my firewall's fault, all of the connection issues I was having. then on thursday or friday, all of the issues just disappeared like magic. so unlikely its an issue with my setup.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on October 06, 2013, 10:40:00 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 05, 2013, 02:29:08 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p85xwZ_OLX0

Yes actually, I power cycled a number of times because my router has a problem where wireless signals can flood it and cause it to go into an endless reboot cycle, this is the state I started in. It's noticeable because when this happens all the green indicator lights are on both my modem and router however the router reports that the cable is unplugged. The only way to get out of this state is power cycling.

I had something similar happen once before so I downloaded the config bin and did a hard reset, trouble started when the backup wouldn't work and I had to rebuild all my router settings from scratch.

Then I enabled debug logging and found that I just wasn't getting DHCP response from Shaw, at that point I called their support line and there was an automated message there informing me that some residents in Edmonton were experiencing an outage.

I also had Photoshop crash a number of times as well as my computer, then almost on cue my internet went down.

Now I have a BIG backlog of stuff to do today.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 06, 2013, 12:03:56 PM
Now I have a BIG backlog of stuff to do today.
:(

I'm doing more orgamanizing. slowly. I hope to get a bookshelf moved out to the living room, and my new tv stand set up (its pretty nice, tv mounts to it, like a wall mount).

Darren Dirt

We techie nerds tend to leave to last the step known as 'call their support line for help', our competency can be a handicap when in stations like this where the problem really IS on 'their' end :P

Mr. Analog

To be honest I'd rather completely eliminate my end before getting involved in some call centre monkeys script
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I have learned to read the indicator lights on those shaw modems fairly carefully. Once I have rebooted my device and the Shaw device there are two things I check. Did I get an address and are the lights indicating the connection is online.

If not I call support right away, often to hear an upfront recording that there are known issues.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 06, 2013, 01:08:41 PM
To be honest I'd rather completely eliminate my end before getting involved in some call centre monkeys script

bad things
[ x ] call centre monkeys
[ x ] call centre monkeys scripts

good things
[ x ] call centre over-the-phone-while-you're-on-hold audio warnings of area outages and known technical issues

(i.e. like Lazy said ^ )

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on October 07, 2013, 02:21:08 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 06, 2013, 01:08:41 PM

bad things
[ x ] call centre monkeys
[ x ] call centre monkeys scripts

good things
[ x ] call centre over-the-phone-while-you're-on-hold audio warnings of area outages and known technical issues

(i.e. like Lazy said ^ )

No one was more surprised than me that there was useful information to be had by calling support

And I think that says a lot about my previous experiences with support lines
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Shaw puts up those recordings cause their call center gets clogged pretty quickly. It helps weed out a bunch of calls.