LibreOffice 5 release notes -- is this the best open-source Office Suite today?

Started by Darren Dirt, August 13, 2015, 12:15:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

I wonder if it still has horrible table editing.

Tried to format a resume in it once, trying to cut and paste table elements or do specific things was a nightmare.

Mr. Analog

I've had a mixed experience, it does so much but then sometimes there's a critical feature you are just used to working (in MS Office) and it's either not there or implemented very differently

For how often I use office productivity tools at home (which is rare) it's okay, for day-to-day stuff I'm still not sure

Better than most, that's for sure
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Personally I use an old versions of office 2007 at home or google docs.

With our company moving to office 365 I will just run the latest version everywhere.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on August 14, 2015, 09:16:09 AM
Personally I use an old versions of office 2007 at home or google docs.

I personally still have a ZIP of the Office 97 Professional installer (yes, from our CST days! Including ACCESS, woot! ;) ) and believe it or not that is what I am currently using on my Windows 8.1 laptop. Because although it is low in features, it is lightning quick to launch and do most things I need it to do (mostly Excel stuff, and only occasionally Word stuff).

But when it comes to more advanced things I don't have the $ (or the interest in hunting online...) for the latest version of MS Office so this ever-improving alternative has been in the back of my mind for a while. But I'm just sooo lazy -- more than 5 years ago I installed the Star Office Suite on my home desktop PC and I think during that time I launched the "Word" equivalent on there maybe twice.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Eh. I just use libreoffice for the few things i need to do. I rarely need to do much, so the advanced stuff almost never comes up, and I'm not "used" to anything else like word or gdocs, so thats not a problem for me either.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Hmm, I bought a cheap 3-pack of Office 2010.  It was, like, $100, or something?  Back when Microsoft was still trying to get home users to buy into Office at a discount so that they'd ask for it at work.

Some of my docs (like my budget) are in Google Docs precisely so that I can look at it anywhere I have internet.

I don't do any word processing in Google Docs, but I know that my kids' schools do.  They even have separate school accounts for that specific purpose, that the school manages.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!