Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Darren Dirt

Thorin

Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

I have to admit I hardly ever use the function keys accept on my laptop where I have to toggle them with another key to change brightness or something.

Mr. Analog

I only use the function keys in games F5, F6 is a necessity in the Mojave Wasteland...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Alt+F4 closes programs, Ctrl+F4 closes code windows in Visual Studio, F2 renames in Windows Explorer and any other Microsoft tool (again, Visual Studio), F5 compiles and runs in debug mode, F10 steps past the next line, F11 steps into the next line, Ctrl+F11 steps out of the current method, F1 for help as mentioned...  I also program hot keys into my function keys.  Ctrl+F12, for instance, focuses/blurs my Skype window.

I guess I use my F-keys more than some.  But I'm a keyboard-driven user.  For instance, on a dual monitor display I use Ctrl+Alt+Right to move the window to the next monitor, Ctrl+Alt+Left to move to the previous monitor.  Also, Win+X to maximize, Win+N to minimize.  In Remote Desktop windows, Ctrl+Alt+Break to switch from full-screen to windowed, then Alt+Tab to switch to another window.

Keyboard shortcuts for the win!  There's just so many of them that it's hard to keep track of, so I've tried to learn the ones I think are most useful.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

To close code windows I just use Ctrl+W, just like in Chrome
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 09, 2010, 09:21:12 PM

Visual Studio 2008, my poison of choice, doesn't support Ctrl+W to close a code window.  Thus I use Ctrl+F4.  I've found Ctrl+W works in other apps I use though, like Notepad++, Chrome, and WinMerge.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on December 10, 2010, 10:25:48 AM

Visual Studio 2008, my poison of choice, doesn't support Ctrl+W to close a code window.  Thus I use Ctrl+F4.  I've found Ctrl+W works in other apps I use though, like Notepad++, Chrome, and WinMerge.

Are you sure? I was using 2k8 up until I left my last project, I seem to remember it working.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on December 10, 2010, 11:45:07 AM
Quote from: Thorin on December 10, 2010, 10:25:48 AM

Are you sure? I was using 2k8 up until I left my last project, I seem to remember it working.

Yup, tried it before I posted.  Push Ctrl+W, status bar says "(Ctrl+W was pressed.  Waiting for second key of chord...".  Push Ctrl+W again, the Visual C# Developer Center opens.  Even the C# Default Keybindings poster says it's Ctrl+F4.  Of course, it could've been remapped, in which case Ctrl+W would work for you.  But I haven't remapped anything.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Maybe it's Ctrl+Q? Or maybe I'm just thinking of most other apps that use tabs...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Hard to believe it was only 2008 when Wired looked at the story behind Chrome -- the BROWSER.
http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/magazine/16-10/mf_chrome?currentPage=all

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 30, 2015, 08:27:26 AM
Google plans to merge Chrome OS into Android:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/10/29/wsj-google-reportedly-plans-to-merge-chrome-into-android-form-single-new-os-in-2017/
This article has had 2 "updates" that seem to say the original article was ... not entirely correct.

Most noteably, the 1st update says this...

Re/code is now reporting that Google's actual plan is to start making a version of Android optimized for laptops. Chrome OS and Android would not "merge" after all. Instead, Chromebooks would continue to exist, but Android Laptops would be an option too. We've asked Google for comment.
http://recode.net/2015/10/29/why-google-tapped-android-over-chrome-as-its-marquee-os/

Lazybones

Maybe they finally clued in that Apples end game appears to be iOS with full fledged apps. I think the iPad Pro is confirmation of this.

Make a new OS from scratch good at one thing... Slowly make it more robust, make your existing OS feel more like the NEW OS then eventually have one take over.

On a side note a lot of Google Corproate reps pack around both a MacBook and a Chrome book.