Game Studio Culture Dictionary (Developer lingo too)

Started by Mr. Analog, October 07, 2011, 03:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 07, 2011, 03:21:12 PM
general development woes, awesome read.

Skimmed it, and read "eating your own dogfood" and was reminded -- on the topic (bolded above) might I strenuously recommend grabbing this excellent book from the library:

http://www.amazon.com/Dreaming-Code-Programmers-Transcendent-Software/dp/B002RAR25C/

I'm currently almost done reading it (about 50 pages from the end) , and I found myself nodding SO OFTEN while reading it that an observer would think I was engaged in some religious ritual.

It's well-written and not nearly as cliquey as it could have been, to the point that a non-programmer would find most of the narrative fascinating and engaging. As the events unfold, it's overflowing with fail, but not comically so -- very realistic and (sadly) common, more tragic than anything.

But it's also full of hope, visionary dreams of the head guy as well as members of his team -- timely I chose to get this book a month ago, considering the recent death of archetypal visionary/dictator Steve Jobs -- and it has even got me asking myself some tough questions about how I, personally, approach development tasks.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.