The root of the game "You're kidding me, right?

Started by Mr. Analog, June 12, 2007, 02:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

I just saw this post on /. and it pretty much syncs with my feelings.

Quoteneurotically min/maxing every aspect of your character is no longer a requirement.

It was a requirement before? The amount of fun you could have in a game was determined by how high a certain attribute was, as opposed to the interaction you had between the players and the GM? I guess if you measure success by "I can do more damage in less time than you, therefore my character is cooler and I win the game" it's a requirement...

The endless hunting for a +1 to hit here or a +2 to hit there will not longer be required.

See above. It doesn't matter if you can get a +1 for a flank attack or +2 because you're within 10' of the target. The dice really, honestly, seriously don't matter that much. Why undergo "endless hunting" to get a bonus to a roll? Just roll the die, see what happens, and take it from there. The GM's not out to get you, and if he is, he's a bad GM.

Thus, a skill roll looks like this: d20 + half your character's level + relevant ability score (strength for climbing, etc.) + 5 if you are trained. That's it.

"That's it," spoken like it's really simple. Simple in comparison to cross-referencing the results of four die rolls on six tables, sure, but that's still needlessly complex.

This is one thing that has always bemused me- how some people are so focused on the mechanics and gaming the system that they miss the fact that they're playing a game with friends. You're telling a story together, you're solving puzzles together, you're (get this) role-playing together. Yes, of course, there's no one way to play a RPG, who am I to tell people how to have fun in a game, but it seems all too often people misspell the first word in the abbreviation: it's role, not roll. Kudos to WOTC for making this "fun without fuss," at least.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

I love that final paragraph. In a way, I guess that's why I actually enjoyed hanging out with you DnD'ers at Mr. Analog's that rainy evening -- even though I wouldn't be joining you in playing, it's like I was vicariously enjoying the social aspect of the gaming that would be taking place in future weeks. :)

PS: by the sound of the Amazon reviewers, it's a loveit-or-hateit thing ::)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Still, it feels better to win the battle than to lose it when you're fighting lowly goblins...  I happen to like the tactical aspect of d20 combat, including trying to flank or be close enough for point blank shooting.  However, if my character dies in combat I hope he or she will at least die in a memorable way.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful