Windows 7 Update issues

Started by Tom, June 20, 2016, 03:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

I have this system I'm working on for someone that has serious issues running updates, even with a fresh install, and even updated with the rollup, cleared the windows update cache (was suggested on MS's forum) AND having the patches I've found via google that are supposed to fix a couple related issues (memory leaks, cpu spinning during updates, etc), but it so far hasn't been fixed. Updates are also failing sometimes, not sure why, other than maybe the rollup and cache clear has confused windows update?

Melbosa mentioned a couple patches that aren't even related to windows update that might fix this? I can't remember the details so I haven't been able to find them :(
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

KB3145739 and KB3153199 after you have KB3125574 (Convenience rollup update) installed.  Then it should be no more than 15-30m first time updating (checking for updates) after that (depends on how long it takes to inventory on the local hardware).
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Melbosa

Tom

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Melbosa on June 20, 2016, 03:41:29 PM
Great resource website btw: http://www.askwoody.com/

Specifically: http://www.askwoody.com/category/microsoft-windows-patches-security/

http://www.askwoody.com/ms-defcon-system/

LOL.

But also pretty sad that this is necessary.

The existence of this other thread there is also sad (but not at all surprising, really) http://www.askwoody.com/2016/are-we-fighting-a-losing-battle-for-privacy/

As for privacy in Win7/8.1? clearly, Microsoft is trying to retrofit more data gathering into Win7 and 8.1. If you install all of the updates to Win7 or 8.1, they?re going to get more telemetry ? more snooping. All of the telemetry between your machine and Microsoft?s big data dump in the sky is encrypted, just as you would want it to be. But that means nobody (outside of a very small handful of people inside Microsoft) knows what?s being collected.

Some of the new telemetry, we?re told, is tied to the Customer Experience Improvement program (CEIP) settings on a computer. Again, we have no way of knowing exactly what gets sent with a CEIP-on computer, vs a CEIP-off computer. We?ve never known what gets sent with CEIP on, which is why I?ve recommended that people turn CEIP off, and I?ve been recommending that since the early days of XP.

Bottom line: Microsoft has published lots of info about how they treat data, how they protect it, how they won?t let it go. You can opt in to certain snooping ways in Win7, 8.1 and 10, or you can opt out. But there?s no hard information about what?s being collected, how it?s being handled, and there are few promises about what will be done with it one, five, ten years down the road.

As for keeping Win7/8.1 on your machine ? I haven?t seen any indication that Microsoft is changing the rules of engagement. If you?re using GWX Control Panel, or Never10 ? or you?ve flipped the Registry bits manually ? I think there?s a very good chance you?ll never get Win10 forced on you. Microsoft?s running out of sticks. Perhaps they?ll finally revert to a primarily-carrot approach.

There's requiring users to give info to enjoy features, then there's grabbing secret info from users without any real justification other than your own corporation's benefit. F U MS.

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

Fun times. Some update is causing the computer to reboot while trying to finish applying updates. Then it goes to startup repair, and offers to roll back a restore point... which gets rid of the updates it just did... *sigh*

Mr. Analog

Sadly restore points AND backups are not just suggested but required IMO.

Do them after you install major software that you use, otherwise it turns into a huge PITA
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 21, 2016, 08:07:57 AM
Sadly restore points AND backups are not just suggested but required IMO.

Do them after you install major software that you use, otherw,ise it turns into a huge PITA
Its a fresh install :D I'm just trying to get it updated, but one of the updates causes the machine to spontaneously reboot when it goes to finish applying the updates on next start (and any subsequent boot) and after startup repair does it's scan it says to rollback to the last restore point, which gets rid of ALL the updates I just did, including ones that fixed windows update issues... Its a royal pita. I'm going to do another fresh install, immediately apply the rollup, and the update fixes.

Fixing an older machine for a neighbor.

Tom

So now this stupid thing is crashing on setup with a bluescreen in HIDCLASS.sys. ::)

Melbosa

Sounds like a hardware issue now...

Tom

Quote from: Melbosa on June 21, 2016, 12:47:39 PM
Sounds like a hardware issue now...
Possibly, running a memtest. Though google suggests it can be bypassed by just finishing that stage of setup without a keyboard or mouse plugged in. Or resetting the bios settings might help. We'll see.