Apple Macbook Air

Started by Lazybones, January 15, 2008, 11:30:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

http://gizmodo.com/345051/apple-macbook-air-looks-absolutely-amazing

More info from the Live feed
QuoteSo to recap, here are the features. 3.0 pounds, 0.16 -0.76 inches, 13.inch display, full-sized keyboard, multi-touch gestures, iSight, 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo standard, 2GB memory standard, 80GB hard drive standard (64GB SSD optional), 802.11n Wi-Fi standard, Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR standard, and MagSafe.

MacBook Air Price: $1799. Ships in two weeks. You can pre-order online now.

Mr. Analog

That's an impressive notebook!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Very compact! and cheaper and smaller than the next closest thing which is the Sony laptops.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tonnica

I've been looking at getting a laptop or UMPC recently. I don't want much power as I wouldn't be using it as a gaming laptop. I was considering the Asus EEE. Then this came along and it crit-stabbed me right in my weak point for cute tech.

Now I'm sitting here furiously shaking my fist at Apple and wondering if I should dare let my bank account take such a monumental hit. Sure, the CD/DVD drive is external but everything else looks good.

Mr. Analog

My biggest gripe so far is $16 a GB for the SSD...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 15, 2008, 12:32:19 PM

SSD just isn't cheap yet.. It is coming down and the fact that it is an option now from companies like Apple and Dell should drive the price down.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on January 15, 2008, 12:59:11 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on January 15, 2008, 12:32:19 PM

SSD just isn't cheap yet.. It is coming down and the fact that it is an option now from companies like Apple and Dell should drive the price down.

It's kind of lame that you can't pick the cheaper HDD with the beefier CPU though...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tonnica

Engadget sez: no user replaceable battery. FUDGE!
My thoughts pretty much echo the more astute comments: I'm willing to let it slide that it only has a single USB port, but I have to send my laptop in and cough up the service fee if I ever need the battery replaced? (which can be a bugbear for laptops with extended use)

Oh Apple. Tsk tsk tsk.

Lazybones

Battery should last as long as your warranty, and by the time it is up there will probably be a 3rd party replacement kit out their.

I have never purchased replacement batteries for any of the home laptops I have owned, by the time 2 year life span of the battery is up it ususaly is time to move on to faster hardware. It is not like you can upgrade much in most modern laptops.

Now if you are a business user, not being able to have a spare to swap while on the road is a big deal.

Melbosa

I've replaced 3 batteries on Home laptops, as a laptop is still good after 4 years, if using it for surfing and word processing.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Out of Warranty and With-in. 2 Out of warranty, one under warranty.  Various manufaturers as well.  Toshiba, HP, and Dell.  I've had to do it with many more friends and client's laptops, these are just mine I am referring it to.  Out of most things I've changed and repaired on laptops in my years, batteries are # 1 (Both inside and outside the warranty window).
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!