Windows 7 Features Revealed

Started by Mr. Analog, October 28, 2008, 11:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

I just read this article that covers some of the new features in Windows 7 and it seems like a few steps in the right direction:
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/233022/revealed-whats-in-windows-7.html

The big questions for most of us here though will likely be compatibility, performance and usability.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Funny, they're going to call it Windows 6.1 instead of Windows 7.  And it's going to run everything that works on Vista, so they're still not re-writing from scratch.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on October 28, 2008, 01:42:13 PM
Funny, they're going to call it Windows 6.1 instead of Windows 7.  And it's going to run everything that works on Vista, so they're still not re-writing from scratch.

A complete re-write was an early rumour I think. There was hope that Windows 7 would be a completely stripped Kernel. I think it's more likely that this is a step to save Vista by adding/changing features on top of the core OS and repackaging it to save face.

They borrow a lot of ideas from Mac (the OSX Doc and Jumplists) and they are changing how networking is supposed to work (you may want to check out that bit Thorin, it could allow PCs in a network to group their files into a unified virtual share).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 28, 2008, 04:20:06 PM
they are changing how networking is supposed to work (you may want to check out that bit Thorin, it could allow PCs in a network to group their files into a unified virtual share).

That would be awesome for me, allowing me to have "roaming profiles" without having to actually set up roaming profiles.  Man, they should just allow roaming profiles with Fast User Switching, then I'd be set.

However, the new version of Windows will be out sometime between now and eternity, so I'll just keep going with my current setup until it's actually gone gold (at which point I should be able to download it from my MSDN subscription).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Thorin

Quote from: Thorin on October 28, 2008, 08:42:11 PM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 28, 2008, 04:20:06 PM
they are changing how networking is supposed to work (you may want to check out that bit Thorin, it could allow PCs in a network to group their files into a unified virtual share).

That would be awesome for me, allowing me to have "roaming profiles" without having to actually set up roaming profiles.  Man, they should just allow roaming profiles with Fast User Switching, then I'd be set.

So I finally learned today that Fast User Switching is enabled on network-connected machines running Vista or Win7: http://answers.oreilly.com/topic/1195-running-windows-7-in-groups-and-domains/.  Now it's time to learn the differences between homegroups, workgroups, and domains.  Although I still think I want a domain so that I can allow Roaming Profiles.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

A domain requires a domain controller, homegroups and workgroups are peer to peer...

Thorin

Yes, I knew that already.  But what are the little differences between homegroups and workgroups?  How much work will it be to set up a domain controller?  Can I add Win7 Home Premium to a domain served by Win2003 Server?  Where will I end up connecting my printer?  Will I be better off streaming content from the Win 2003 domain controller/web server/database server/profile server, or leave it running on a workstation?  How much work will it be to get everyone's documents in the right place?  etc, etc.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Melbosa

I can answer all your questions... if you so desire.  But it sounds more like you want to learn it on your own.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

I don't believe any o the "home" editions support domains, however that can be easily checked on ms site.

Assuming your home needs are not to complex I would just purchase a cheap NAS as a file server, have a public share with no permissions for common stuff and a few folders that require logins for more personal stuff.

Thorin

That's essentially what I have now, Lazy, although the files are all located on one computer with a bigger drive.  What I'm aiming for is to have programs and shortcuts and all that follow people from computer to computer in my house, so that they can sign in to any computer and have everything set up without having to set it up manually each time.

For instance, iTunes tracks what songs it has but the libraries are different between the two machines - I want one library so I can plug the iPods into any machine.

For another instance, my wife has a bunch of bookmarks on computer 1.  If she logs onto computer 2, she doesn't have any of them and may have trouble finding the right site.

It's something I've been thinking about for a long time, trying to find the right (cheap) solution.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

You are describing a roaming profile, or a home drive that resides on a network share..

Going the Domain route I have always found roaming profiles a PITA.

If you only have two apps, like Firefox and iTunes that you want to be the same then what you might want to do is simply change their default profile / library folders to point to a network drive... This would be a one time setup on each computer...This doesn't work for apps like IE that only use the appdata folder

Alternatively you can install something like mozilla sync in firefox http://mozillalabs.com/sync/ to keep any copy of firefox up to date. And then there is dropbox which can create online synced folders starting at 2GB for free..https://www.dropbox.com/  not suitable for iTunes but for any app that lets you map its settings folder it is VERY handy... The drop box client is also available on my platforms and some apps integrate its API directly.