Main Menu

Windows 7

Started by Mr. Analog, December 21, 2009, 08:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

So, I got an ASUS Eee (it's a netbook with some balls) and it shipped with Windows 7. It's actually pretty rad.

I'm thinking of upgrading to this on my other machines, is anyone running 7? How does it perform with high-performance games? Comparable with XP?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Windows 7 IMO is the reason to get rid of Windows XP.  Both from an Office Desktop and Gaming Platform, I find the OS superb for both.  I've been running it since RC, and have it on every desktop/laptop computer I interface with (work, home, etc).  I recommend it to all my clients and to anyone else who will listen.

Although it is much much much better Vista for resource utilization and overhead, XP still requires less to run.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

Interesting to see that the market share Windows XP has been losing has pretty much been going to Windows 7: http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp

Also, WinXP is eight years old now, isn't it?  Released in 2001?

I would upgrade from WinXP to Win7, except it costs me money and WinXP still works well for my purposes.  I know, that sounds just like those people that didn't want to leave Win98 for Win2K, but seriously, WinXP still works well.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Plan on upgrading my work laptop over the holidays.

Tom

I was running Windows 7 RC1 at Frag. It ran great :)

I have W7 on my desktop and laptop atm, but its been months since I used any install other than the one installed in VirtualBox. ;D
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

I think I may be buying into this once I figure out what version to get.

Finally time to let XP go I guess...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Get used to clicking one extra time for every action...
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on December 22, 2009, 10:34:05 PM

Windows 7 UAC defaults to a less crazy level than Vista and can be adjusted to several levels where vista had on and off. That and launching apps by search is all I do in Vista, Win7 and MacOS now.. Every time I use a XP system I get frustrated that I have to go through the start menu to digg out an app.

Mr. Analog

Beyond disabling the Windows Firewall (which I do on XP anyway) this really hasn't been a problem yet for me, granted I haven't installed anything serious yet.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Lazybones on December 22, 2009, 10:58:31 PM

Windows 7 UAC defaults to a less crazy level than Vista and can be adjusted to several levels where vista had on and off. That and launching apps by search is all I do in Vista, Win7 and MacOS now.. Every time I use a XP system I get frustrated that I have to go through the start menu to digg out an app.

Good to hear, because most users on Vista left UAC on and "trained" themselves to just click OK without reading the pop-up at all.

As for App Search or whatever it's called, I do like that feature.  In XP, I "trained" myself to know the name of the executable and start it by pressing the Windows+R (shortcut for the Run dialog), then typing the executable name and pressing Enter.  Vista's and Win7's App Search is similar to this technique, but better because you don't have to make sure your executable is in the PATH environment variable.

For all the things that get added to Windows, some are real gems while others are stinkers.  The big thing for me is whether I can do things without having to use the mouse, or if I have to use the mouse then that it doesn't require very precise clicking.  I hope they continue to work on usability techniques - anything that just makes sense the first time you do it, like dragging a window to the side of the desktop and having it pop into place there.

In Windows 7, are you still able to drag windows off the desktop so that you can only see one or two pixels worth of menubar?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Windows 7 has multi monitor aware keyboard shortcuts the let you flip apps between screens and even arrage windowson the same screen such as 50% width and aligned to the right.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on December 23, 2009, 01:34:44 PM
Windows 7 has multi monitor aware keyboard shortcuts the let you flip apps between screens and even arrage windowson the same screen such as 50% width and aligned to the right.

That sounds pretty sweet, but a whole bunch of new shortcuts to learn LOL
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I used a 3rd party app before so for me it is one less app. Win 7 also has much easier options for dealing with projectors vs extra monitors. Clone and extend desktop modes are much easier to setup for meetings.

Melbosa

I actually like the new pin system for icons (stolen from MAC).  And the new snap system for windows.  And as Lazy said, the mobile computing stuff is fantastic.

Also, for gamers, the DirectX9 just works.  No more looking for dlls and such to play those older games.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on December 23, 2009, 07:19:43 PM
Also, for gamers, the DirectX9 just works.  No more looking for dlls and such to play those older games.

Now that is encouraging!
By Grabthar's Hammer