"Free" == Headache

Started by Mr. Analog, February 21, 2010, 10:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

So, I finally started putting together a PC around the motherboard I won at Fraga, I knew I was in for trouble because it was an Intel motherboard and I've had nothing but problems with them in the past but yeesh!

For the record my setup is:
Intel DX48BT2
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 1333MHz FSB
4G Mushkin RAM
nVidia 8800 GTS
Intel X25-M SATA SSD 160GB HDD
ASUS DVD-RW
Antec 750 Watt PSU

ANYway, installing the hardware was okay, there seems to be some kind of power problem when I put one of the case sides on (I think I'm pinching a cable or something somewhere) but when they're off it runs okay (no high temps reported so it's not a seating problem) no other alarms or beep codes go off either.

So what's the problem? Windows 7.

The @%&#er just won't install. It gets to the "windows is loading files" screen ok, then it goes to the "starting windows" screen and hangs there forever or reboots.

I've tried the following with no luck:
-Updated to newest BIOS
-Disabled various onboard features in BIOS (individually and all at once)
-Reseated hardware
-Rewired power
-Ran with no USB devices running including keyboard/mouse (got a BSOD about IRQLs)

I've read that taking out half the memory during install may do the trick, but really I thought it would be WAY easier than this by now.

I'm just going to drag it to MemEx or something and let one of those freaks absorb the headache I don't want anymore.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I'm betting bad ram. But IRQL's can come from broken drivers, or other broken hardware as well. But given the errors you've had, I'd test the memory. I seem to recall the windows 7 disk having a mem test tool if you don't already have a boot disk/stick with memtest86+ or the Windows Memory Diagnostic on it.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Melbosa

I'm with Tom, although I'd have to look at it to see what could be another issue.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

I'm sure it's memory related, though I've heard some stories of people with this problem and it turned out to be power related (? sounds crazy I know).

I'll load up MemTest after work.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 22, 2010, 11:53:03 AM
I'm sure it's memory related, though I've heard some stories of people with this problem and it turned out to be power related (? sounds crazy I know).

If the power supply is failing it'll cause all sorts of problems. Including killing other hardware. But in my experience its less likely than just bad ram.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on February 22, 2010, 06:19:22 PM

If the power supply is failing it'll cause all sorts of problems. Including killing other hardware. But in my experience its less likely than just bad ram.

I've also read that Windows 7 doesn't play nice sometimes with 4 Gig and will install under 2 and then accept 4 afterward.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on February 25, 2010, 07:56:45 AM
Quote from: Tom on February 22, 2010, 06:19:22 PM

I've also read that Windows 7 doesn't play nice sometimes with 4 Gig and will install under 2 and then accept 4 afterward.
I've heard rumors, specifically with like Server 2008 or some such. But that won't be a problem with a 64bit install.

Lazybones

Have not encountered this and we have Win7 and Server 2008 systems with more than 4GB of ram, of course those systems are 64bit as there is no point in having more than 4GB of RAM on a 32bit version of windows.

Mr. Analog

For this particular problem the answer I run into consistently on forums etc is either

-Bad power
-Bad ram

I suspect the user who had taken half his ram out either didn't have that half seated properly (or otherwise faulty). Though why it would work when he put it back in I'll never know.

I think I will be taking it to MemEx on Saturday and let them deal with it.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

I'll come over and take a look if you pay for the flight. :)

Melbosa

I can also offer to take a look, but you don't have to pay for my flight.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Thorin

And just to round the offers out, I'll not come over but let you pay for a flight to somewhere for me :)

Seriously, though, letting MemEx suffer the pain of diagnosing is a good plan.  I wonder what they charge for that?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on February 26, 2010, 09:58:30 AM
And just to round the offers out, I'll not come over but let you pay for a flight to somewhere for me :)

Seriously, though, letting MemEx suffer the pain of diagnosing is a good plan.  I wonder what they charge for that?
Hopefully not as much as Future shop. Everything is separate. They'll charge like $80 to find the problem, another 40-80 to fix the problem, and of course $$ for any hardware that needs purchased.

Mr. Analog

It was just bad memory, oddly I picked the right, wrong memory first try.

Now I gotta return 2 G of Mushkin and get me some new paired sticks.
By Grabthar's Hammer