3D TVs -- review/comparison of Panasonic vs. Sony (29Jul2010)

Started by Darren Dirt, July 29, 2010, 01:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Lazybones

Same basic LCD FLICKER tech my sega master system had, just now instead of using an interlace trick at standard refresh rate they double the refresh rate and can do progressive scan on the set.
The glass are still powered and synced to the TV to blank out your vision in alternating eyes.

I am waiting for better tech that doesn't require me to where glasses or at least not have to have $300 /pair ones for everyone to enjoy the effect.

Darren Dirt

Sounds like some of the competitiveness is kicking in, package deals are often offered, and the glasses are not all $300 each, some are apparently as low as $100 US (since the article linked above mentioned the $200 pricepoint as being "double" some competitors).

The local Radio Shack (oops, I mean The Source) had a Sharp 3D package, included a 3D player as well as 2 sets of glasses, for some reduced price, can't remember the details but it was nice to hear they aren't totally taking advantage of early adopters, the fact that packages are being offered already, to reduce the overall cost of things you would buy anyway to get the most out of the tech, that's a good thing to see.

Melbosa

I've tried these out in various stores now and I'm with Lazy.  I don't want to have to wear glasses to watch TV, Movie, or Play a Video Game.  Holographics is probably the next thing to get the 3D going right.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mags

There are suppose to be TV's on the horizon using the same tech as Nintendo's upcoming 3DS, which gives 3d without any glasses at all. How it will work on bigger screens though is still in question, last I heard.
"Bleed all over them, let them know you're there!"

Lazybones

Quote from: Mags on July 31, 2010, 12:55:53 AM
There are suppose to be TV's on the horizon using the same tech as Nintendo's upcoming 3DS, which gives 3d without any glasses at all. How it will work on bigger screens though is still in question, last I heard.

There are two glasses less techs... The first is one where the TV has a special layer that fragments the image, and can only be viewed at distinct angles from the set.. IE dead on and maybe exactly 30 degrees.. Another more scarey tech uses a projector and an eye tracking system that beams the image into your eyes.. It is limited to x amount of people it can trach
Quote from: Darren Dirt on July 30, 2010, 04:41:27 AM
Sounds like some of the competitiveness is kicking in, package deals are often offered, and the glasses are not all $300 each, some are apparently as low as $100 US (since the article linked above mentioned the $200 pricepoint as being "double" some competitors).

The local Radio Shack (oops, I mean The Source) had a Sharp 3D package, included a 3D player as well as 2 sets of glasses, for some reduced price, can't remember the details but it was nice to hear they aren't totally taking advantage of early adopters, the fact that packages are being offered already, to reduce the overall cost of things you would buy anyway to get the most out of the tech, that's a good thing to see.

Would you trust small kids with $100 to $300 plastic glasses? They really are not all that durable that is for sure.

Thorin

Quote from: Lazybones on July 31, 2010, 03:04:02 PM
Would you trust small kids with $100 to $300 plastic glasses? They really are not all that durable that is for sure.

Not only that, but adding 3D to a show that has no discernible plot does nothing to the show.  3D won't make a bad show better.  So why bother spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on tech that won't make an appreciable difference in your entertainment value?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

This whole 3D fad is completely on the manufacturers side, looking for a new angle (pardon the pun). I don't think I've ever heard anyone pining for a 3D television. Heck most 3D movies are quite disappointing.

Personally, one pair of glasses is enough for me.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mags

Darren Dirt

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/rumor_toshiba_launch_glasses-free_3d_tvs_2010

edit: d'oh! I just found this link, didn't see your post has the same URL, lol -- well, there's comments there, maybe those are new since the above post.

Mr. Analog

You have to be sitting head on for that apparently to work, I don't think it will catch on.

Maybe they can add a device that shocks your butt or makes a smell instead...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 26, 2010, 07:32:26 AM

If you have a loud enough surround system with a big enough subwoofer, you can already experience the Low Frequency Effects to get a "shock" for your butt.  Some shows I watch, the couch vibrates in the Everyone-Running-From-The-Explosion parts.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on August 26, 2010, 10:07:44 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on August 26, 2010, 07:32:26 AM

If you have a loud enough surround system with a big enough subwoofer, you can already experience the Low Frequency Effects to get a "shock" for your butt.  Some shows I watch, the couch vibrates in the Everyone-Running-From-The-Explosion parts.

I was gonna ask how you might know that but you answered it right away. What the hell kind of TV are you watching???
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mags

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Mags on August 26, 2010, 12:42:34 PM
Now Sony is in on the race.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/sony_joins_race_deliver_glasses-free_3d_tvs

Sony tries everything once, usually with a custom battery or something haha.

What I want to know is who is driving this whole shift to 3D, is it the film industry or the television industry?

Back in the 50s the reason things like Cinemascope, 3D, seat buzzers, etc came into being was to compete with television which was decimating the film industry. I kinda see some parallels, except this time it's TV and film VS teh interwebs.

Crazy!
By Grabthar's Hammer