3D TVs -- review/comparison of Panasonic vs. Sony (29Jul2010)

Started by Darren Dirt, July 29, 2010, 01:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

They are just trying to create a false race.. I guess they wanted to try and make up for the shortfalls the economy collapsing caused. They realized what other people learned, early obsolescence makes you money.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on August 26, 2010, 04:31:28 PM
They are just trying to create a false race.. I guess they wanted to try and make up for the shortfalls the economy collapsing caused. They realized what other people learned, early obsolescence makes you money.

Actually, the more I think I about it the more I feel that the television/film industry is feeling very threatened by the internet.

Television programming is becoming more and more available on the net, how long before people just opt to buy a computer with a big monitor rather than an appliance like a TV? Big companies like Sony and Samsung are split into divisions that compete with each other, how long I wonder before the TV divisions get absorbed into the more generic "display" divisions? Especially when you consider that something like a 3D display that only works well for a single user sounds like it has immediate applications for PC users rather than TV watchers.

Plus I guess after the giant screen push of the early to mid 2000s has only left one marketing option; the next dimension! OooOooOooOoo!!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

they are just turning TVs into PCs....

You can now get the following features on high end TVs:
- DNLA streaming / Players built in
- Built in web browsers
- Built in RSS and Twitter clients...

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Lazybones on August 26, 2010, 05:17:57 PM
they are just turning TVs into PCs....

You can now get the following features on high end TVs:
- DNLA streaming / Players built in
- Built in web browsers
- Built in RSS and Twitter clients...

Many of those features are primitive at best, mind you I can just plug in my PC and use the TV as a display.

So why then this fascination with 3D? Who wants this kind of tech in their living room?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Darren Dirt

Cool video, BUT it appears it's only making a "3D-i-sized" version of a 2D image.

The thing I linked to above was a [usually rendered] image containing X+Y+Z axis contents, and at different angles you're gonna see different details.

Which is why so many of the comments on YT seemed to demand a pr0n application of this technology.

Darren Dirt

study on 3-D television: many were less interested in the technology after they actually experienced it
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100910/entertainment/us_tv3_d_survey

cliffs: people won't hop aboard the bandwagon until glasses-less tech hits mainstream.

Mr. Analog

I think the same things could be said about the slack Blu-Ray adoption.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 10, 2010, 06:17:49 PM
A couple things that hurt bluray initially was that many Bluray's were sourced from DVD quality "masters" (Which is absolutely useless) and that bluray movies were just too expensive (imo).

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tom on September 10, 2010, 06:20:30 PM
A couple things that hurt bluray initially was that many Bluray's were sourced from DVD quality "masters" (Which is absolutely useless) and that bluray movies were just too expensive (imo).

Many DVDs are sourced from LaserDisc to this day, it didn't seem to hurt sales. The big problem I saw with BluRay was people could get their heads around all the tangible benefits going from VHS to DVD had:
1. No rewinding
2. Better picture / sound (debatable, better than VHS, the same or better than LD)
3. Slim cases
4. TONS of re-releases

But BluRay was only offering two things:
1. Even more better super awesome hi-def picture
2. More storage (this means squat to most middle brows, even less to those with vastly increasing disk arrays)
3. More expensive for no reason (they didn't really offer this, it was foisted upon consumers, still is from what I can tell)

I think the split between HD-DVD and BluRay standards hurt both technologies, potential early adopters didn't want to bank on the lame horse (faded remembrances of the VHS/Betamax debacle). DVD had similar difficulties to surmount back in the late 90s but DivX died off pretty fast and all the competing formats merged into one standard.

So anyway, once again we have this new technology with different emerging options, glasses, no-glasses-head-on-view-only, etc. Compound that with an underwhelming effect and I think most consumers are going "meh".
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Mr. Analog on September 10, 2010, 06:34:52 PM
Quote from: Tom on September 10, 2010, 06:20:30 PM

Many DVDs are sourced from LaserDisc to this day, it didn't seem to hurt sales. The big problem I saw with BluRay was people could get their heads around all the tangible benefits going from VHS to DVD had:
1. No rewinding
2. Better picture / sound (debatable, better than VHS, the same or better than LD)
3. Slim cases
4. TONS of re-releases

But BluRay was only offering two things:
1. Even more better super awesome hi-def picture
2. More storage (this means squat to most middle brows, even less to those with vastly increasing disk arrays)
3. More expensive for no reason (they didn't really offer this, it was foisted upon consumers, still is from what I can tell)

Indeed. The main selling feature of Bluray was the BETTAR PICTURE. And in many cases, you didn't even get that. So there really wasn't a point to it. I've heard stories of new Bluray releases (of new films at the time) coming out with DVD (or worse) picture quality due to a bad remaster or /really bad/ encode, or both.

I think the split between HD-DVD and BluRay standards hurt both technologies, potential early adopters didn't want to bank on the lame horse (faded remembrances of the VHS/Betamax debacle). DVD had similar difficulties to surmount back in the late 90s but DivX died off pretty fast and all the competing formats merged into one standard.

So anyway, once again we have this new technology with different emerging options, glasses, no-glasses-head-on-view-only, etc. Compound that with an underwhelming effect and I think most consumers are going "meh".
Pretty much. Meh.

Lazybones

The problem of Blueray image quality probably has more to do with the size of set and viewing distance
http://hd.engadget.com/2006/12/09/1080p-charted-viewing-distance-to-screen-size/

Honestly unless it is a side by side, or a huge set I can't tell DVD vs Blueray just by looking..  Even some split screen demo's that exaggerated the difference are hard to see until I am right in front of the set, much closer than I would be at home in many cases.

O and I am really tired of watching monsters vs aliens for demos...

I have seen Alice in Wonderland and live football as well demoed.. Oddly enough I found the football the most interesting to watch in 3D the moves where lame as objects too often hit the edge of frame and wreck the 3D effect.. Where in foot ball you focus so much on the center of action and the camera tries to keep it centered that you really can get immersed..

Melbosa

Just watched Resident Evil: Afterlife 3D in the theatre.  Now there is a movie I'd like to see demoed on these TVs as it had some of the best 3D I've seen to date - very well done.  Mind you I have not seen Avatar in 3D yet...
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Quote from: Melbosa on September 10, 2010, 11:57:21 PM
Just watched Resident Evil: Afterlife 3D in the theatre.  Now there is a movie I'd like to see demoed on these TVs as it had some of the best 3D I've seen to date - very well done.  Mind you I have not seen Avatar in 3D yet...

Avatar it isn't the greatest story but DAMN it has some great visuals.