Windows 7 Taskbar Tweaker

Started by Thorin, March 01, 2011, 05:08:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

I don't like how Windows 7 always groups icons on the taskbar by application (for instance, all the Chrome icons together, then all the Explorer icons, etc).  I want to be able to have a Chrome icon followed by an Explorer icon followed by a Chrome icon.  Note that I'm not talking about combining here, I'm talking about grouping.

Well, apparently there's a program out there called 7 Taskbar Tweaker, which lets you do exactly that (it also has a few other options, like turning off the hover-over thumbnail preview).  Here's where I downloaded it from: http://rammichael.com/7-taskbar-tweaker
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on March 01, 2011, 05:08:30 PM
I don't like how Windows 7 always groups icons on the taskbar by application (for instance, all the Chrome icons together, then all the Explorer icons, etc).  I want to be able to have a Chrome icon followed by an Explorer icon followed by a Chrome icon.  Note that I'm not talking about combining here, I'm talking about grouping.

Well, apparently there's a program out there called 7 Taskbar Tweaker, which lets you do exactly that (it also has a few other options, like turning off the hover-over thumbnail preview).  Here's where I downloaded it from: http://rammichael.com/7-taskbar-tweaker

Sounds like every version of Windows has the equivalent of "Button Boogie" (W95-W2K) or "Taskbar Shuffle" (WXP, WV) which gives the user the kind of precise intuitive control over the taskbar that really should be there in the first place...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

Once I discovered the magic of Windows Key + Tab the task bar ceased to matter, also I find myself hovering the cursor over the program group and picking the right window (rather than tabbing through god knows how many open instances of "program" I might have running...)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Nice to know there are options, but I actually prefer the windows 7 default way.

Darren Dirt

FYI: Taskbar Shuffle lets you drag+drop move around the tasks in your taskbar, which as I've said really should be a builtin part of any modern OS. the grouping that is relatively recent = something others may find helpful, but I find damn annoying.

Lazybones

Quote from: Darren Dirt on March 01, 2011, 10:16:41 PM
FYI: Taskbar Shuffle lets you drag+drop move around the tasks in your taskbar, which as I've said really should be a builtin part of any modern OS. the grouping that is relatively recent = something others may find helpful, but I find damn annoying.

What do you mean? You can drag and drop change the order of any task item in Windows 7 as is.

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Lazybones on March 01, 2011, 11:05:41 PM
What do you mean? You can drag and drop change the order of any task item in Windows 7 as is.

finally.

Every Windows version before that didn't let you do that simple thing.

And are you telling me in W7 you can no longer uncheck the "combine tasks into Groups" function?

Melbosa

I like the new taskbar as well.  I like the preview mode as has been mentioned.  I don't really need to know how many IE or Chrome or Outlook windows I have open anymore.  The Rolodex Windows + Tab, Alt-Tab Thumbnail view or the Window Preview have pretty much removed that need for me. In fact, before Windows 7/Windows 2008 R2, I would run a double sized taskbar for all the windows and quicklaunch items.  Now I'm a single bar again, even though my "PINs" are more than half of it.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

One thing I'd still like to see in Windows is the concept of multiple desktops. Generally I keep my desktop clean but that's only because if I add all the shortcuts and crap I use I end up with the programs menu all over again anyway.

I could have different desktops for the various tasks I need to switch to every now and again (SQL Dev, testing, documentation, etc)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 02, 2011, 08:29:32 AM
One thing I'd still like to see in Windows is the concept of multiple desktops. Generally I keep my desktop clean but that's only because if I add all the shortcuts and crap I use I end up with the programs menu all over again anyway.

I could have different desktops for the various tasks I need to switch to every now and again (SQL Dev, testing, documentation, etc)

you mean the thing that most video cards have included forever in their extra software? or am I imagining things...

but yeah, that kind of feature should be Built In to an OS.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on March 02, 2011, 09:09:46 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on March 02, 2011, 08:29:32 AM

you mean the thing that most video cards have included forever in their extra software? or am I imagining things...

but yeah, that kind of feature should be Built In to an OS.

Nope, not talking mutli-display desktop I'm talking you have completely different desktops you can switch between.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

Very similar to what you find in more Linux Desktop Distros I believe is what Mr. A is looking for.
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Melbosa on March 02, 2011, 09:16:31 AM
Very similar to what you find in more Linux Desktop Distros I believe is what Mr. A is looking for.

Yep, exactly, I'm pretty sure it's part of X and the different Distros implement it differently. But when I use it I love it and I'd love to see it as a feature in Windows.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Taskbar Shuffle - I used to use that on XP.  7 lets you drag-n-drop.

Grouping - if I could group icons based on the activity, that'd be fine.  I arrange things on my taskbar so I have, for instance, the email about the bug I'm fixing then the code then the test runner that I'm running unit tests in then the browser that I'm testing manually in.  If I'm working on two bugs, I'd like to repeat that pattern.

Rolodex - while the Windows+Tab feature looks neat because you can see what the window looks like, I don't like that you have to press the key combo once to activate, then again to move to a different window.  Niggling details that I have to get used to, as it acts just a little different than Alt+Tab.

Multi-Desktop - in XP you could enable multiple desktops through the TweakUI Powertoy, I think.  Wait, it's Virtual Desktop Manager.  In 7 there are several third-party tools that allow this functionality, but I haven't tried any of them.  Keep in mind that switching between desktops can either mean switching from one filtered view to another, or can actually cause programs on the desktop you're leaving to be paused.  Most Linux distros just do the former.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

QuoteKeep in mind that switching between desktops can either mean switching from one filtered view to another, or can actually cause programs on the desktop you're leaving to be paused.  Most Linux distros just do the former.
Yup. typically in X, it just filters the windows. KDE 4 however has been working towards full "activities" where you can set activities to "pause" everything that's running in them. At least if the app is only in that single activity. Another feature is that Apps with activity support, can filter their own state to only show things relevant for that activity. Like for instance, say you're working and have entered the "work" activity, your IM and Mail client could only show contacts and folders for work. Family and friends would/could be filtered out. Its not 100% there yet though, but they are working towards that goal.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!