Owncloud / yunohost

Started by Lazybones, December 19, 2012, 01:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazybones

After Tom mentioned it I though i should open a post on it... Some nice call in one web administered solutions that can work on a small business or personal level.

http://yunohost.org/

http://owncloud.org/

Mr. Analog

This is perfect timing actually I have a friend who is trying to start her own web comic and wants to do it with her own site rather than using tumblr or wordpress.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I pretty much wanted to use owncloud for sharing pictures and whatnot. Maybe some files... But the image gallery in the current stable version is a load of suck.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Where does it show that it can be used as a website?  All I see is features that let you store info in a cloud that is (supposedly) locked down to only you.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on December 19, 2012, 06:14:30 PM
Where does it show that it can be used as a website?  All I see is features that let you store info in a cloud that is (supposedly) locked down to only you.
With Owncloud you can make things shared, share items with other people using the same instance, or give out public links to items.

That's all well and good, but its photo gallery app... fairly unusable imo. It doesn't seem to have a proper concept of separate galleries (groups of pictures) and the mobile app really didn't work all that well.

Speaking of the mobile app, they don't seem to intend to support android's account data as a built in feature.. Instead you have to find other apps to sync your calendar, todo, and other data with it. It's like what's the point ::) Basically all the app is good for is syncing files. Which I suppose is ok, but its not a feature I care about too much.

Thorin

I ended up clicking the Developer tab on owncloud.org, which made me learn about the kanban board product called huboard.com (similar to Pivotal Tracker), which made me learn about github commit push commands.

Fun!
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

The calendars are consumable via Caldav, which should be natively supported by the android calendar app.

It also uses carddav for the address book.

And WebDAV if you wanted to mount the file stores remotely ...

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on December 19, 2012, 09:05:04 PM
The calendars are consumable via Caldav, which should be natively supported by the android calendar app.

I'd rather sync all my existing stuff up to it. And not have to have a special app for each and every different type of data I want to sync.

Also did I mention the photo sharing stuff needs work?

;)

I'll probably try it out again later. it seems its a bit rough around the edges atm.

Lazybones

I didn't realize the native google android calendar and contacts apps don't support these common formats , funny because google them selves have just expires active sync support.

Guess your only option is a google account or a 3rd party app?

iOS devices support Activesync , IMAP and Caldav for calendars
And carddav and Activesync for contacts.

Tom

Quote from: Lazybones on December 19, 2012, 09:23:38 PM
I didn't realize the native google android calendar and contacts apps don't support these common formats , funny because google them selves have just expires active sync support.
I honestly haven't checked to see what they support. I'd bet though that they are pure google though.

Quote from: Lazybones on December 19, 2012, 09:23:38 PM
Guess your only option is a google account or a 3rd party app?

iOS devices support Activesync , IMAP and Caldav for calendars
And carddav and Activesync for contacts.

My main interest in my owncloud was to have a nice photo album thing and some file sharing. And secondarily maybe sync my contacts and calendars, but none of that really works all that well for me at this point in time. which kinda sucks.

Darren Dirt

idk why, but I see the above post, realize that any of sharing the above with our SO = eyerolling guaranteed #GreekToMe

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

Quote from: Darren Dirt on December 20, 2012, 11:06:16 AM

idk why, but I see the above post, realize that any of sharing the above with our SO = eyerolling guaranteed #GreekToMe
Or they can just see the shared calendars and other stuff on the web interface ;)

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on December 20, 2012, 11:06:16 AM

Because of the product names sound unfamiliar?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Well I have SSL and my own domain setup now... Been playing around with OwnCloud...

Thoughts so far

Dropbox replacement
- iOS app doesn't support full Photo Sync, you can multi-select uploads but it is a very manual process.. The recent upload all option in Dropbox is much nicer.
- It is possible to mount a bunch of external storage (SFT/SFTP/SMB etc) into your account... I have a SMB share on my nas mounts now... SO essentially I have unlimited external encrypted access to my home files now. You can also use this feature to consolidate access to dropbox and other services but I think their clients are better.

Contacts
- Contacts app is rather basic on the web UI side