!@#$% Google Chrome

Started by Mr. Analog, September 24, 2013, 03:03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

So....  Ice Weasel?

I still remember the day my son figured out The Fire Fox -> Ice Weasel connection...
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on April 18, 2014, 03:29:53 AM
So....  Ice Weasel?

I still remember the day my son figured out The Fire Fox -> Ice Weasel connection...
It is iceweasel, but its the same code, so I just call it firefox to keep from confusing people. Using either ff or iw is the same.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Not seeing those issue under windows... or my Ubuntu box..

Do you have an example of a site this happens on?

Tom

Maybe I'm just overdoing it. I tend to have multiple windows with MANY tabs open in each. A few are js heavy, like Facebook and gmail. Either way it wasn't a big  problem for chrome prior to 33, and wasn't at all a few versions before that.

Ff just seems to not be able to handle the load. I wonder if I can force 1 process per window... Dunno if its profile handling likes sharing like that.

Lazybones

New firefox look and feel was just releases.. Even more Chrome like?

Tom

I've been finding Firefox does NOT like my usage pattern. It gets soooo slow and laggy. Chrome might be @%&# but it handles it a bit better.

Mr. Analog

Either I haven't gotten it yet or haven't noticed :)

Will report later

As for resource usage on Windows it's still be the best. I can actually keep Photoshop and my browser open at the same time (gasp!)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

I'm not unhappy at all with its memory usage. it does rather good. It's using about 5-8GB ram (5GB res, 8GB virt) at the moment, but I have an absolute fsck-ton of windows and tabs open. chrome probably would have been unusable long before this. It's odd, after it uses about 8GB ram, it starts to really mess up.

Unfortunately one or more of the tabs are js heavy apps (*cough*facebook*cough*) and they like to use a bunch of cpu and leak memory. It tends to make the entire browser slow after a while. Like typing into text fields, including the url bar lag, switching tabs lags.. etc. It annoys the crap out of me.

Mr. Analog

You should use the Facebook app and just make sure your phone is WiFi

I kind of like the app better anyway
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 29, 2014, 11:51:56 AM
Either I haven't gotten it yet or haven't noticed :)

If you go under help / about you can kick off the update.

You will notice a big change.. the Orange firefox button left is gone and a google chrome like settings menu is now on the right

Thorin

Well at least none of us are using Internet Explorer.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Apparently they're trying to make it look like Chrome which I find amusing

If people want the Chrome non-UI they can just download Chrome. Oddly enough there is already a Firefox Add-In that brings back the old GUI

Quote from: Thorin on April 29, 2014, 01:43:10 PM

I'd use it more if it didn't suck so bad at nearly everything
By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 29, 2014, 01:45:19 PM
Apparently they're trying to make it look like Chrome which I find amusing

If people want the Chrome non-UI they can just download Chrome. Oddly enough there is already a Firefox Add-In that brings back the old GUI

Quote from: Thorin on April 29, 2014, 01:43:10 PM

I'd use it more if it didn't suck so bad at nearly everything

I think Thorin is referring to the fact that ALL versions of IE have an open un-patched critical vulnerability, and there is an exploit in the wild already attacking versions 9,10 and 11 users.

FYI for those that haven't updated here is the official Firefox UI change announcement
https://blog.mozilla.org/press/2014/04/mozilla-introduces-the-most-customizable-firefox-ever-with-an-elegant-new-design/

Thorin

Yes, that's what I was referring to :)  Got the corporate email about it, but I already knew.  Unfortunately our intranet works best on IE :(  But any external websites I go to, I visit using Chrome (98%) or Firefox (2%).

You know, I don't know that my kids even know how to start up Internet Explorer.  I don't think they recognize the icon.  We've been a Firefox/Chrome/occasionally-IceWeasel family since my oldest first started using the computer heavily.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

No, I know all about the exploit, just sayin' even if IE didn't have these problems I'd not use it

The only place I use it currently is application testing.
By Grabthar's Hammer