Winamp shutting down on Dec 20th

Started by Mr. Analog, November 20, 2013, 01:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Hardly surprising but the end is nigh for a once great media player:

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/13/11/20/1958213/winamp-shutting-down-on-december-20

The llama's ass will go un-whipped after 2013
By Grabthar's Hammer

Melbosa

So sad :(.  I love Winamp on my phone!
Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Lazybones

Haven't used it is an very long time...

The Nullsoft installer however is very popular with a lot of software projects still however.

Tom

<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Darren Dirt

rior to Winamp, there wasn?t much available beyond Windows Media Player or RealPlayer. But none of those players could, in the mid-1990s, do something as basic as playlists, much less visualizations and custom skins, nor were they as tightly and efficiently programmed as Winamp. Even today, the Mac version of the Winamp installer is only 4.2MB; by comparison, the iTunes Mac installer comes in at a whopping 170MB...
:'( we will miss you, efficient software development for a very much needed niche!

http://www.quora.com/Startups/Looking-for-extreme-pain-problem-to-build-a-startup-idea
...find something that you are both passionate about and where are you are the right person to solve the problem. Without both of these, you are increasing your chances of failure exponentially.

If you are really struggling to come up with ideas, try this:

Go to a hackathon
Look at things in your life that suck and need fixing
Start reading tech blogs regularly
Figure out something you really want someone else to build
Hang out with smart entrepreneurs

Honestly, at the end of the day, generating ideas shouldn't be the problem. It's all about execution.
^ that kind of driver = the trigger for the original WinAmp -- to relieve pain, to provide features other apps failed to do (or did it in a way that was full of fail). Too bad drive-by-management claimed another victim...

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer