New Star Trek Series Premieres January 2017

Started by Mr. Analog, November 02, 2015, 10:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

Quote from: Lazybones on January 31, 2018, 12:25:39 PM
I find myself liking characters like Saru, Stamets and Tilly but I generally don't like Burnham which the show is largely centered around.

What don't you like about Burnham?  Personally, I don't like the Empress character, but I can't say why until Mr. Analog catches up to episode 13.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

Quote from: Thorin on January 31, 2018, 07:26:33 PM
Quote from: Lazybones on January 31, 2018, 12:25:39 PM
I find myself liking characters like Saru, Stamets and Tilly but I generally don't like Burnham which the show is largely centered around.

What don't you like about Burnham?  Personally, I don't like the Empress character, but I can't say why until Mr. Analog catches up to episode 13.

For a star fleet officer who trained at the Vulcan academy and was mentored by her captain that she apparently loved she sure made a huge number of impulsive and devastating decisions from her jet pack incident to  knocking out her captain and trying to lie to the crew.

She also didn?t report that new security officer was having all sorts of reliability issues twice which resulted in the doctor being killed and almost her when he switched personalities.

She is constantly making bad decisions for someone that is supposed to be so experienced. She was a first officer for how long?

Mr. Analog

RLM talks about Short Treks and the future of Star Trek Discovery:
https://youtu.be/6d4iCa6h29c
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Season 2 of Star Trek: Discovery just ended. I keep vaccillating back and forth between really liking it and really not.

The Orville has really grown on me since we first started this thread, though!
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

I have to say I'm more of an Orville fan at this point which is something I never expected to say but yeah good season closer

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

I can't decide whether that season ender was good writing to address the glaring problems in the plot or lazy writing to address them.

Even so, if the UFP developed spore drive technology, why would the knowledge about it all be concentrated in one ship, why wouldn't it have spread out to multiple computers so multiple scientists could study it? It's a gamebreaker even more than the Romulans' cloaking devices, why would an entire military operation forget it had this tech?

In my eyes, the introduction of the spore drive and the mycelial network was a terrible decision that completely broke my believability in ST:D and their writers.

The Orville I find is good when it doesn't focus on McFarlane's character, the constant review of his love life and broken marriage is old already and doesn't add anything to the show anymore (I think it did at first).
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on April 18, 2019, 11:15:32 PM
I have to say I'm more of an Orville fan at this point which is something I never expected to say but yeah good season closer

Quote from: https://maximumverbosit.blogspot.com/

Monday, April 01, 2019 -- April Currentlies

Currently watching: I just recently binge-watched The Orville, and that was a very strange and interesting experience.

The combination of earnest Star Trek plots, goofy and sometimes juvenile humor, and relationship comedy/drama is an odd one, and early on it doesn't necessarily work very well.

And then at some point things click together a bit, and at least in some episodes, it starts to gel nicely and is pretty entertaining.

And then somewhere in season two, I found myself thinking, "Huh, wait, they're actually doing some stuff ST:TNG did better than TNG did it, and that's... interesting."

And then a couple of episodes after that I'm sitting there watching the thing with my mouth hanging open going, "This is awesome! When did this turn into legitimately really good SF television? How did this turn into legitimately good SF television?!"

What's funny is that people kind of told me that would happen, and yet it still took me by surprise.

^ Dangit, why did I find this unintentional rando nudge-reminder, when I haven't even seen EndGame yet, not to mention not even close to finished my Oracle Java training... :sigh: #Patience

PS: if anyone here on RW still *hasn't* watched "Galavant", then hint: one sentence above can be slightly modified:
The combination of Princess Bride plots, goofy and sometimes juvenile humor, and relationship comedy/drama is an odd one, but from the opening lines right to the final song it does work very well. (Tad Cooper!!!)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Darren Dirt

Hey Mike and the other RLM guys, tell us what you REALLY think!

Star Trek Discovery Season 2 In a Nutshell

(one comment: "tfw you try to make a parody but it ends up genuinely more compelling than the actual show.")

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Darren Dirt on June 17, 2019, 01:20:03 PM
Hey Mike and the other RLM guys, tell us what you REALLY think!

Star Trek Discovery Season 2 In a Nutshell

(one comment: "tfw you try to make a parody but it ends up genuinely more compelling than the actual show.")

OMG the cringe dialog wasn't just something they were making up???

RLM "Star Trek Discovery Season 2 - re:View"
https://youtu.be/5SHhySoXDcA
The power of parody, people! I love humor!

Mr. Analog

It was also a pretty deep review worth watching if you've seen the new season

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Mr. Analog on June 29, 2019, 12:23:55 PM
It was also a pretty deep review worth watching if you've seen the new season

The RLM boys in their Re:View even SAID they were enjoying the first few episodes of Season 2.
*were*

Darren Dirt

The Orville got an Emmy nomination!

For... Outstanding Special Visual Effects (!) -- competing against Game of Thrones, The Man in the High Castle, The Umbrella Academy, and Star Trek: Discovery (!)

https://twitter.com/SethMacFarlane/status/1151199022624829440
It?s worth noting that, as the only broadcast network series on the FX nominations list,
#TheOrville was working with a fraction of the budget of its competitors.
The fact that this extraordinary team of artists achieved what they did speaks to their massive talent and dedication.

via https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2476627/seth-macfarlane-shares-why-the-orvilles-emmy-nomination-is-so-noteworthy

Darren Dirt

For those disappointed in Discovery, are you feeling hopeful about *Picard*?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ9lvNHQzLQ

Because I am worried that it is not going to be novel writing at all, since in this teaser/trailer they reveal the return of a handful of familiar** characters [honestly, I was surprised that the "Admiral" he was speaking to WASN'T Janeway!]. Which tbh might be necessary for this particular story, then again I fear it might just be one of the risk-averse mistakes made by the decision makers for the new Star Wars trilogy (aka fear of not blatantly linking associating "new thing" with "old thing" via "hey I recognize that character / face / villain / joke / LINE" etc.)

Also, tough to hear Stewart's Old Man Voice, or is that just me? (Me, who has finally reached Season 3 of ST:TNG for my falling-asleep video watching)

** and that's just in the TRAILER! Look who else is back -- https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8806524/fullcredits?#cast (LeVar Burton and Michael Dorn were too busy? ;) )

Mr. Analog

I'm going to reserve judgement but I'm not hopeful

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

By Grabthar's Hammer

Lazybones

It looks more on point than Discovery style wise and looks like it will have to deal with a defeated / freed Borge and romulans without a home planet.

It has potential but not super hopeful.