Statistical Analysis: Where To Look For Important Blocks

Started by Thorin, April 09, 2012, 04:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

There's a specific type of mining I used to do, It's hard to draw since a single "level" will have three actual levels, and every second horizontal tunnel is actually three separate tunnels (one going straight, one stepping two blocks above, and one going two blocks below). For the levels above and below, they are shifted over one, so you end up seeing nearly every block, while not doing too much mining.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Y'know, at that point you might as well just strip mine like Melbosa does... have fun fighting mobs too heh

Also as a side note, digging two block high narrow tunnels takes no time at all and you cover a lot of ground fast, you can just rock the mouse up and down if you have a diamond pick enchanted with Efficiency and Unbreaking (just sayin')
By Grabthar's Hammer

Tom

The nice thing about the method I used was you only dig out 1/3 or so of the blocks, yet can see nearly every single block. without doubles.

Thorin

I did the math, one-wide-two-high tunnels with three blocks in between actually requires less pickaxing than two-wide-two-high tunnels with four blocks in between, and gives better coverage to boot.

one-wide-two-high, three blocks between: 1 block mined every 3, times 2 for height, 2 blocks out of 6.
two-wide-two-high, four blocks between: 2 blocks mined every 6, times 2 for height, 4 blocks every 12.

Seems the same, right?  But there's less dead space (compare to previous post if you want):

32:xxxxxxxxxxx
31:dddd
30:dddd
29:xdddx
28:xdddx
27:dddd
26:dddd
25:xdddx
24:xdddx
23:dddd
22:dddd
21:xdddx
20:xdddx
19:dddd
18:dddd
17:xdddx
16:xdddx
15:dddd
14:dddd
13:xdddx
12:xdddx
11:dddd
10:dddd
09:xdddx
08:xdddx
07:dddd
06:dxdxdxd
05:xxxxxxxxxxx

Not a huge savings, but some, and as Mr. A says it's pretty simple to dig one-wide-two-high.

So, how long do you make your tunnels?

I plan on going at least 100 blocks in, then mine 3 blocks over, then come 100 blocks back (that way I'm mining on the way back, too).
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Each shaft is usually 80 to 100 metres long

I usually dig a long trunk hallway first running either East/West or North/South then I start marking the branch hallways by placing a torch evenly every 4 blocks. When I hit the end of a branch I will start the adjacent tunnel digging my way back to the trunk. I always backtrack a branch to start a new dig back to the trunk (in case I missed something).

If I hit a hazard I place cobblestone at the end of the branch where I hit trouble and mark it with a torch. If you're ever in my mine and hit a cobblestone dead end with a torch on it (instead of the wall) there's likely lava on the other side.

The main thing with my technique is speed over thoroughness, I can burn through a lot of area in a short amount of time, in fact yesterday I was able to nearly double my existing mine in just a few hours:

http://mc.tomasu.org/#/35/64/152/-1/0/1

I found a significant amount of resources (partly thanks to my new texture pack which makes spotting things a little easier for me)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

What do you do when you hit natural caverns?  I seem to keep coming out on these caverns that are thirty or forty meters high to the ceiling, always with resources tantalizingly out of reach.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

Quote from: Thorin on April 10, 2012, 03:11:07 PM
What do you do when you hit natural caverns?  I seem to keep coming out on these caverns that are thirty or forty meters high to the ceiling, always with resources tantalizingly out of reach.
I just climb up and get them at some point. always manage to find a lot of iron up there. The shift key is used quite a bit, as well as a bunch of cobble for walking my way out to it.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Thorin on April 10, 2012, 03:11:07 PM

Between level 5 - 10 it doesn't happen very often, when it does, I just brick up the roof and keep on digging.

Caves are great, but they slow me down (and are populated by mobs usually, which eats into mining time).

This also explains why I'm usually low on coal. Coal is very abundant in caves (as is iron).
By Grabthar's Hammer

Thorin

Good gravy man, I'm LOADED FOR BEAR with coal at the moment.

Also, I built some fences for US Rail - a chest full, so 27 stacks of 64, or 1,728 fences.  And it only took one visit to _half_ my Arboury.
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Mr. Analog

Yeah, early on I made all the rails and a @%&#-ton of smooth stone (for building little things here and there)

On the plus side I build a lot of cool stuff (with enough left over for a ridiculous tower)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Quote from: Thorin on April 10, 2012, 02:10:54 PM

32:xxxxxxxxxxx
31:dddd
30:dddd
29:xdddx
28:xdddx
27:dddd
26:dddd
25:xdddx
24:xdddx
23:dddd
22:dddd
21:xdddx
20:xdddx
19:dddd
18:dddd
17:xdddx
16:xdddx
15:dddd
14:dddd
13:xdddx
12:xdddx
11:dddd
10:dddd
09:xdddx
08:xdddx
07:dddd
06:dxdxdxd
05:xxxxxxxxxxx

Geez I sure hope there is some handy-dandy tool out there that converts a color-filled grid into the forum syntax (!)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Well .... Notepad, with judicious use of search and replace?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Lazybones

Single rows sure use a lot more torches.

I suppose you could reclaim them and wall off sections