Wii Size and controllers (Split from Call of Duty 3)

Started by Mr. Analog, November 20, 2006, 12:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Darren Dirt on November 20, 2006, 11:33:28 AM
lol -- Rampage: Total Destruction is hella fun with the normal NGC controls; I don't know why they redid the game for the Wii, I can imagine it would be more arduous and less fun if you got tilt your hand to do the same thing as for(i=ad;i<nauseum;i++){button-mash} ;)

Well, the Wii has four GC controller ports, so you could plug the old game in with your CG controllers ;)
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

Thorin

Quote from: Mr. Analog on November 20, 2006, 12:03:57 PM
Well, the Wii has four GC controller ports, so you could plug the old game in with your CG controllers ;)

I was not aware of this, and I was all worried about not being able to use my wireless GameCube controllers for the GameCube games.  Turns out there's a flip-open panel on the top (if you stand the Wii on it's side in the stand), where the GameCube controllers and memory cards plug in: http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2006/features/hardware/revknow/revknow_screen002.jpg

And yes, it depends on whether the game supports the GameCube controller.  In my case, I was worried about existing GameCube games.

There's also the Classic Controller that you can buy for the Wii to play Virtual Console games with.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Lazybones

I know that some or all of the Wii games do not work with the GameCube controllers, but as you said for sure you can use them with GameCube games, and I am almost as sure you can use them with Virtual Console games.

Darren Dirt

The thing is barely bigger than a DVD case (and about 3x as thick) and yet it even has convenient, out-of-the-way yet logical place for the NGC library-holders to plug in their old hardware... Such elegant design! 8)

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Tom

I still like how the Xbox 360's new HD-DVD drive alone is almost twice the volume as the Wii.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Lazybones

Quote from: Tom on November 20, 2006, 02:19:44 PM
I still like how the Xbox 360's new HD-DVD drive alone is almost twice the volume as the Wii.

First gen full size HD-DVD equipment, with internal to external interface addaptopr board, vs miniaturized "n" generation DVD hardware that is wired directly to the main board of the host system.

It is like the difference between a PCI modem and a PCcard modem in a laptop. Or a 5 1/4 DVD drive in a PC vs the DVD drive in a laptop.

MS could have made it smaller,  but it would have taken longer and cost more.

Tom

Not just DVD hardware, but one slick slot load drive, NAND flash, wireless, usb, legacy GC peripheral/card support, and the rest of the game console.

edit, besides, (afaik) there isn't THAT much different about a HD-DVD drive besides it uses a different wavelength laser diode. Its still an optical medium with the same diameter, and same basic features (it spins \o/).

Shayne

With near no advancement in 4 years

Tom

Yup, none at all. Its only 2+x faster, with builtin flash, usb, wifi, plays DVD and GC media in a slot load drive, without destroying the media (try inserting a GC disk into any other slot load player, especially if it isn't exactly lined up). None at all.

edit: and its about 1/2 the size/volume of the GC.

Lazybones

Quote from: Shayne on November 20, 2006, 02:46:09 PM
With near no advancement in 4 years.

Correct, the unit is truly just a beefed up GameCube.. with a new way to control games, and an online component. Hardware wise the Wii is trivial.

It has to try and make up for this by it's game play and afford ability, which we will still have to wait and see. 

Tom

edit: someone deleted their message. (how bout don't?)
QuoteIt does require a bit of space to add cooling for a triple core 3.2Ghz and the most modern graphics processor available (PC, or console)
Have you seen the PS3 teardown? The entire thing is mostly Heatsink. And more metal. and its not a triple core. Its a single core PPC with 7 or so specialized stream/fpu units on die.

The 360 is a 3 core PPC.

Shayne

I'm not going to argue the size of the Wii to the other truly next gen consoles.  Its apples to oranges.  The Wii is super small, sure, but its not bringing nearly the technology to the table.  If size is important to you, i'm sure you will be happy with how little it is.  This was a big point when the Xbox first came out, but that didn't stop it from, i dunno, doubling the sales of the NGC.

Tom

Yeah, so its not at all advanced  ::) and small hardware isn't as advanced as the more power hungry massive versions. Right. Just cause it runs at a slower clock rate, its less advanced ::)

Cova

Actually the small size of the Wii, and now seeing those doors on the side/top for the extra ports is a good reason not to buy one.  People with high-end home theaters typically have an equipment rack for all their gear (may be an actual rack, or maybe just adjustable shelves, but a vertical stack of equipment either way).  I don't care if you want to say that people stack it vertically because all of the components are wide and flat, or that everything is wide/flat because people stack it - it still comes back to the fact that typically people end up with these stacks.

How does the Wii fit into that?  It doesn't.  If you lay it flat, either the slot-load drive has to be pointed into the side of the rack and be unaccesable, or both those little doors with the ports behind have to be pointed into the side and be unaccesable.  When laying flat, only 1 side (the front) should have any type of ports/slots/buttons/etc. on it, as the other 3 sides are likely hidden/covered.  The exception would be the back-side for your output cables, as most people want those hidden.

I don't know why consoles lately have all been supporting this vertical-stand idea, but it does not mesh at all with every other home theater component on the market.