BAFTA 2007 Awards

Started by Melbosa, October 24, 2007, 10:45:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melbosa

Sometimes I Think Before I Type... Sometimes!

Mr. Analog

That should be BAFGA not BAFTA, shouldn't it?
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

The academy is still BAFTA these are just their awards.  British Academy of Film and Television Arts

Shayne

After doing some reading I can't believe my eyes.  How could the ultra shallow Wii Sports be such a big winner.  Strategy & Simulation?!?!  How is that either?  I will give it Innovation, Casual and Multiplayer.   I just can't do Gameplay and Strategy & Simulation

Mr. Analog

I suppose, either way here's the list of winners:

2007 Winners

Innovation - Wii Sports
Artistic Achievement - Okami
Story and Character - God of War 2
Strategy and Simulation - Wii Sports
Casual - Wii Sports
Gameplay - Wii Sports
Multiplayer - Wii Sports
Action & Adventure - Crackdown
Technical Achievement - God of War 2
Sports - Wii Sports
Original Score - Okami
Use of Audio - Crackdown
Best Game - Bioshock
BAFTA Ones To Watch Award - Ragnarawk
The PC World Gamers Award (voted for by the public) - Football Manager 2007

Wii Sports seems a clear winner (not bad for a bundled game), God of War 2 also made a good showing...
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Shayne on October 24, 2007, 10:58:09 AM
After doing some reading I can't believe my eyes.  How could the ultra shallow Wii Sports be such a big winner.  Strategy & Simulation?!?!  How is that either?  I will give it Innovation, Casual and Multiplayer.   I just can't do Gameplay and Strategy & Simulation

Well apparently they liked it. They also think Raganarawk is "one to watch".
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

My list would look something like this...

Action and Adventure Crackdown (Xbox 360)
Artistic Achievement BioShock (Xbox 360)
Best Game BioShock (Xbox 360)
Casual Guitar Hero II (PS2)
Gameplay Gears of War (Xbox 360)
Innovation Wii Sports (Wii)
Multiplayer Wii Sports (Wii)
Sports Forza Motorsport 2 (Xbox 360)
Strategy and Simulation World in Conflict (PC)
Technical Achievement Gears of War (Xbox 360)
Use of Audio BioShock (Xbox 360)

Shayne

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 24, 2007, 11:00:18 AMWell apparently they liked it. They also think Raganarawk is "one to watch".

They can like it all they want but its hardly a Strategy or Simulation game.

Thorin

Quote from: Shayne on October 24, 2007, 10:58:09 AM

Maybe they think it simulates bowling really well?

Strategy & Simulation

For games that have a high degree of strategic elements where gameplay is centered around decision-making skills, and/or attempted simulations of real world scenarios.

Games covered include management simulations, life simulations, flight simulations and real-time strategy simulations.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Shayne

...thats a very large stretch seeing as Boxing, Golf, Tennis are all horribly done "simulation wise" bowling is slightly better.  Great fun in a party environment but Simulator?!?  Seriously.

Thorin

Quote from: Shayne on October 24, 2007, 11:02:18 AM
Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 24, 2007, 11:00:18 AMWell apparently they liked it. They also think Raganarawk is "one to watch".

They can like it all they want but its hardly a Strategy or Simulation game.

I guess you have to start with defining what is "Strategy" or "Simulation".  Would a flight simulator where you pretend to perform physical actions (controlling a plane) qualify as a "simulation"?  Would a bowling simulator where you pretend to perform physical actions (controlling a bowling ball) qualify as a "simulation"?  Or does "simulation" mean something less broad to you?

I think they should have split those two categories.  Strategy and Simulation games can be wholly and completely different.
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Shayne on October 24, 2007, 11:01:47 AM
Technical Achievement Gears of War (Xbox 360)

What technical obstacles did Gears of War surmount and surpass? From what I have read God of War II had to really push the PS2 architecture to the limit to make it look amazing and playable on 7 year old hardware.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Shayne

Sure, I can see them needing to be two different categories, but do you honestly believe that Wii sports provides a "realistic simulation" of any of the sports its has?  I will admit that bowling isn't bad, but I'm surprised to see that I go from being a sub 100 bowler to nearly a 200 bowler in Wii Sports.  Golf is the worst one though the fact that its much easier to play if you sit on the couch and simply wrist flick (Wiimote pointing towards the ceiling).  Tennis doesnt need you to switch position to backhand/forehand.  Boxing is just a matter of who can push the controller forward fastest.

Shayne

Quote from: Mr. Analog on October 24, 2007, 11:10:49 AMWhat technical obstacles did Gears of War surmount and surpass? From what I have read God of War II had to really push the PS2 architecture to the limit to make it look amazing and playable on 7 year old hardware.

Have you seen it?  I'd say its a bigger technical achievement to create the best looking game out still on new and untested hardware versus building on what others have done over 7 years to get what you got now.  If anything I think the technical achievement shouldn't be just limited to games it should be more technology focused an in that regard I would put Unreal 3 Engine as the winner.

Mr. Analog

I agree that Wii Sports winning in the simulation category is a stretch at most. I'd like to see BAFTAs argument for it.

All it simulates is me making strange hand gestures...
By Grabthar's Hammer