Fragapalooza '08

Started by Mr. Analog, January 22, 2008, 09:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thorin

So how was the venue?  Did the concession make good money?  Was the power nice and clean?
Prayin' for a 20!

gcc thorin.c -pedantic -o Thorin
compile successful

Tonnica

Quote from: Thorin on August 11, 2008, 11:46:28 AMSo how was the venue? Did the concession make good money? Was the power nice and clean?

The venue was mostly nice. It looked a bit like we had all been locked in a giant basement but it was air conditioned, spacious, and regularly maintained. The bathrooms had an attendant in there practically every hour keeping things clean and stocked up which was great.

I'm betting the concession made a small fortune off of us. Everything came with fries and it wasn't fancy but it was all very convenient and the staff were all very polite.

Negative things were the vibration that irregularly rocked the building due to nearby construction and the drop in temperature overnight with the air conditioning running. I saw a lot of folks huddled up in blankets to keep warm overnight, but it's always easier to warm up than sit through heat.

The power and internet stayed up and consistent throughout the entire event. I didn't hear about any problems but I seriously doubt there were any. People kept their stuff off the power trunks and there was lots of power to go around.

Thorin

I'm glad the Sportex did a good job providing the venue.  I used to work there as a clean-up crew for dog shows when I was in Scouts.  Great fundraiser, and they did a good job keeping everything tidy and humming along.

Didja know you guys were on the news last night at 11?  Global had a 30-second bit about Frag.  Dunno if this is the same article or not: http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=09efcaae-0b31-4431-a6b7-5004d301c980
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

The sad thing is we probably have to go back to the Mayfield, and ALL of the good things about this years Frag will disappear. (things like a kick ass internet, steady power, working AC, and a CLEAN venue).
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Thorin

Why would you have to go back to the Mayfield?
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tom

The SportEx is being torn down this year. And the Agricom is likely way too pricey to book for frag. The other options are places like the Shaw conference center, which are either too expensive or too small. Not a lot of choices for an event that draws ~1000 cheap gamers.
<Zapata Prime> I smell Stanley... And he smells good!!!

Mr. Analog

Well, I've had a day to decompress and think back here are the pros and cons as I saw them:
PROS

• The venue was spotless, cheers to the SportEx staff and the Fraga volunteers
  • A concession that had reasonable prices and friendly staff
  • Security was spot on
  • Lots of fun events
  • Network stability
  • Power never failed that I noticed
  • Gigabit internet connection
  • New RAND!!
  • TF2!!!! BONK!
  • Dedicated Fraga servers!
  • No old @%&#ty Counterstrike official tournament
CONS

• Sound system tweaking. Seriously, when seated you can't hear @%&#
  • Start contests and stuff earlier, not that I have anything against Karaoke at 2 AM... just... ew...
  • More events/contests during Fraga spread out through all four days
  • 100 MB network cap :noes:
  • An attached (good) hotel would be a plus... though the cabs were fast and efficient

Personally, I think this is one of the best Fraga's I've been to (not number one though, I think last year was pretty good). I had tons of fun, everything ran smooth and I won stuff.
By Grabthar's Hammer

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Mr. Analog

By Grabthar's Hammer

Tonnica

Quote from: Darren Dirt on August 19, 2008, 01:50:29 PMwho's dat?
He is PRIZ-OR purveyor of pretty prolific prizes!

Well at least he can feel confident he wasn't the biggest weirdo there.

Mr. Analog

Quote from: Tonnica on August 19, 2008, 02:13:02 PM
Quote from: Darren Dirt on August 19, 2008, 01:50:29 PMwho's dat?
He is PRIZ-OR purveyor of pretty prolific prizes!

Haw!
By Grabthar's Hammer

Darren Dirt

He looks rather happy. Like a cheery version of Mr. A -- wow small world eh?

Strive for progress. Not perfection.

Thorin

Quote from: Tonnica on August 19, 2008, 02:13:02 PM

Nice job on the TF2 Spy costume!
Prayin' for a 20!

compile successful

Tonnica

Quote from: Thorin on August 20, 2008, 08:57:11 AMNice job on the TF2 Spy costume!
Thanks! Maybe next time I'll complete my costume before an event instead of after. :P

I think it helped me get into the finals of the dance-off. It had to have, I've got no game! (and yes there are videos on YouTube and Google Video)